Flat Earth, Young Earth?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Flat Earth, Young Earth?

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu May 03, 2018 2:17 pm

There are reports of a Flat Earther convention held recently in Birmingham. Here are some snippets from one report.
Flat Earthers many times raised the point with physicists [who were not flat Earthers] that they were using huge measures of time and space. The flat Earthers said they would only believe it if they are able to see it or experience it. They put a lot of stock and a lot of value in what they could see and what they could observe by themselves. They want physical proof.
That said, they were enthusiastic about research. They often seemed more informed than the physics PhD students [who didn’t believe in the conspiracy] they debated on one of the panel discussions at the conference.
They are very skeptical. If you believe the Earth is flat, then there has to be some sort of conspiracy to keep that information out of public domain. The conspiracy then goes from the government to scientists, who use false data. For them, there is very little outside evidence that is not explicitly linked to people part of the conspiracy.
Sounds familiar?
https://qz.com/1268605/what-its-like-to-attend-a-flat-earth-convention/
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Flat Earth - and something in the book of Job

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu May 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Brian

Coincidentally (before spotting your post) I just stumbled upon this report of a convention held in late April in Brum:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/blo ... conference
Do they believe in Flat Earth Warming I wonder.

Ashley
PS
Meanwhile I see that God has been leading the USA in its National Day of Prayer today (video opens at the top of the page):
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-obse ... ve-stream/
a_haworthroberts

Re: Flat Earth, Young Earth?

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri May 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Several speakers throughout the weekend take time to highlight that evolution is a myth, accompanied by occasional heckles of “monkey men!” from audience members.
ibid
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat May 05, 2018 12:04 am

I own up. Since the event looked like a nonsense fest I admit I only skimmed the article.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun May 06, 2018 1:34 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:I own up. Since the event looked like a nonsense fest I admit I only skimmed the article.

Sorry Ashley, the ibid referred to my snip being from the same report as yours, not to your gathering of flatties being the same as mine! The report your linked to was better than the one in my OP.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun May 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
a_haworthroberts wrote:I own up. Since the event looked like a nonsense fest I admit I only skimmed the article.

Sorry Ashley, the ibid referred to my snip being from the same report as yours, not to your gathering of flatties being the same as mine! The report your linked to was better than the one in my OP.

Yes, that's how I understood it. Unless there have been two flat earth conferences in Birmingham recently (though perhaps Peterborough would have been a better location) I'm sure the Guardian and Quartz must have been describing the same event and perhaps could have made clearer in my opening comment that I was making that assumption (I didn't refer to young earth because I missed the reference to evolution rejection and only spotted the passing reference to the book of Job).
a_haworthroberts

Return to News and Links