Life on Earth

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Life on Earth

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:53 pm

Given what we know about how Earth works, and what we know (which is limited) about other planets and moons in this and other solar systems, it appears almost incredible that there are complex and intelligent lifeforms flourishing on Earth. It almost looks like either a fluke (the result of a whole series of coincidences/fortuitous outcomes) or deliberate intent.

People like the young earth creationist Christian Ken Ham sound incredibly sceptical that there have ever been or are 'now' intelligent aliens elsewhere in the universe (he deems this unbiblical) and professional scientists/science populisers such as Professor Brian Cox appear resigned to the possibility (will we ever know for sure given the sheer size of the universe) that we are 'alone' in the universe (whether it is godless or God created).

But I can't help thinking that if we were finding lots of other planets (whether very Earth-like or perhaps a bit different) that we knew contained intelligent life (rather than utterly inhospitable lumps of rock or balls of gas like Venus or Jupiter) that might hint at deliberate intent and suggest that what has occurred on Earth is less of an apparent 'lucky' and 'improbable' fluke over time. For deep time and biological evolution to be true would not require that there is 'unbiblical' and apparently evolved/apparently created intelligent life (perhaps superior in knowledge to the human race) somewhere else in the universe.

And I am not attempting to sound like Professor Stephen Hawking when I speak of the 'universe' ...
a_haworthroberts

Re: Life on Earth

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:49 pm

Steady on, Ashley. Why would the likelihood of ID increase as the number of habitable planets with intelligent life increases? Surely it just increasingly shows that the laws of physics and chemistry make such life possible, even inevitable. Anyway, even if you were right, who's to say that a multiplicity of life doesn't imply a multiplicity of designers? Now there's a research project - albeit just a theoretical one - for the ID crowd.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Life on Earth

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Steady on, Ashley. Why would the likelihood of ID increase as the number of habitable planets with intelligent life increases? Surely it just increasingly shows that the laws of physics and chemistry make such life possible, even inevitable. Anyway, even if you were right, who's to say that a multiplicity of life doesn't imply a multiplicity of designers? Now there's a research project - albeit just a theoretical one - for the ID crowd.

I was suggesting that IF life (ie other than eg microbes) on Earth is unique in the universe (up to 'now' at least) that looks like a lucky and exceedingly rare 'fluke' ie the conditions required involve many coincidences - which only happened in one place. Whereas if there is or was similar life to Earth elsewhere in the universe (maybe so far away that the word 'now' is almost meaningless since communication would be impossible due to the vast distances between us and them) maybe that could imply that life is a bit more inevitable which might imply some kind of 'fine-tuning' and that any 'creator' was not 'wasting' vast amounts of galaxies with just gas and rocks but no reproducing lifeforms (but apparent fine-tuning, presumably by the same God that may have created the whole universe, might be explainable simply by the laws of physics rather than an invisible intelligence and I don't discount the anthropic principle and the possibility that humanity created - all - gods rather than that one God created us apparently using evolution). Of course it would be very interesting to know whether another planet/moon found to contain intelligent life contained abundant evidence for evolution - perhaps its brightest inhabitants, if they were friendly, might inform us whether that was the case. I suppose I should also have mentioned possible artificially created (created by human-like creatures) intelligent 'lifeforms' elsewhere in the universe.

Were aliens to make contact tomorrow, and that was verified, Ken Ham would doubtless change his current tune and seek to harmonise that with the Bible. YECs, whilst claiming Genesis is 'scientifically accurate', are very willing to admit where required that Genesis probably did not tell us everything that happened.
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All