It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:20 pm

For 5 million years after the extinction ending the Permian, most of the planet was too hot to sustain life.
This is known from fossilised fish teeth. How the fish survived isn't explained, though.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/19/lethally_hot_ancient_earth/
Before any creationist jumps on that remark, The Register doesn't explain the fish. I imagine the original paper, which Marc would urge us to consult, has something to say about that.
Another report http://www.world-science.net/othernews/121019_triassic.htm points to yesterday's (Oct 19) issue of Science. The article is behind a paywall, the abstract is here: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/338/6105/366.abstract?sid=609b74ba-2159-4e2d-b1da-e5d3ef337872
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:34 pm

The maps show the tropics were too hot and devoid of land animals but a few marine life (presumably stewed :D )

The whole argument makes sense to me
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Michael wrote:The maps show the tropics were too hot and devoid of land animals but a few marine life (presumably stewed :D )

The whole argument makes sense to me
Oh, I quite agree but I do wonder - in the absence of access to the paper - how they worked out temperatures from the teeth of fish that (according to The Register's account) couldn't have survived in the hot parts. Was it just extrapolation or was it something more complicated? I see that all the fish came from one place in China, which suggests it was outside the hotspot and not compared with a hotspot where fish suddenly disappeared.
I've seen no maps - have you access to the paper?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:29 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Michael wrote:The maps show the tropics were too hot and devoid of land animals but a few marine life (presumably stewed :D )

The whole argument makes sense to me
Oh, I quite agree but I do wonder - in the absence of access to the paper - how they worked out temperatures from the teeth of fish that (according to The Register's account) couldn't have survived in the hot parts. Was it just extrapolation or was it something more complicated? I see that all the fish came from one place in China, which suggests it was outside the hotspot and not compared with a hotspot where fish suddenly disappeared.
I've seen no maps - have you access to the paper?


I am tempted to say the chemistry of the red beds
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Michael wrote:
I am tempted to say the chemistry of the red beds


How long before the nutters start proclaiming this is all evidence of Noah's flud?

I'll give it about a week.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Michael » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Michael wrote:
I am tempted to say the chemistry of the red beds


How long before the nutters start proclaiming this is all evidence of Noah's flud?

I'll give it about a week.



It was the time during the flood when radioactive decay was accelerated
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: It wern't half hot mum, in that early Triassic

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Michael wrote:
Roger Stanyard wrote:
Michael wrote:
I am tempted to say the chemistry of the red beds


How long before the nutters start proclaiming this is all evidence of Noah's flud?

I'll give it about a week.



It was the time during the flood when radioactive decay was accelerated
A flud of boiling mud. You know it makes sense - not.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm


Return to News and Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests