Decelerated education & Nessie

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Decelerated education & Nessie

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:32 am

The self-styled "Accelerated" Christian Education brigade are rightly mocked in the Sunday Herald for their attempts to disprove evolution using the Loch Ness Monster (as, no doubt, seen on its trip south to Carlisle by Bishop Bell).
One ACE textbook – Biology 1099, Accelerated Christian Education Inc – reads: "Are dinosaurs alive today? Scientists are becoming more convinced of their existence. Have you heard of the 'Loch Ness Monster' in Scotland? 'Nessie' for short has been recorded on sonar from a small submarine, described by eyewitnesses, and photographed by others. Nessie appears to be a plesiosaur."

Another claim taught is that a Japanese whaling boat once caught a dinosaur. It's unclear if the movie Godzilla was the inspiration for this lesson.
They mainly describe the nutters as American nutters, but they do mention their pernicious influence in the UK. But as you might expect,
Daniel Govender, managing director of Christian Education Europe, which is part of ACE, said the organisation would not comment to the press on what is contained in the texts.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/education/how-american-fundamentalist-schools-are-using-nessie-to-disprove-evolution.17918511
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Decelerated education & Nessie

Postby cathy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am

Hmm I note the anti catholic bias is mentioned as well, quite a toxic issue in Scotland isn't it?

What is it with creationist loons and catholicism? Surely they aren't still narked about Henry VIIIs divorce are they? If yes, get over it, he divorced anyway - several times. And when it comes to medieval attitudes to the role of women and an obsession to regulate who can sleep with whom and under what circumstances you'd be hard pressed to push a donkeys hair between them! They should be big besties not enemies.

Or are they fed up with the ordinary catholics in the schools selling out to swell their ranks and IQs by quietly sidelining their more bonkers illiberal sides and filling the deficit with sponsored walks for starving infants, selling fair trade sweets and fasting to raise money for Rumanian orphans :evil: Or is the fact we like a good party now and then? Or is it our normal 'secular educational' take on things like atoms and calculus and the location of Mexico.

Even our local creationists confused me by saying they knew good catholics even tho they were wrong (which was before I knew they were still living in 1540 something).

You know I'd long held the worldview that catholicism was the nastiest christian sect, but creationism has challenged that worldview big time. We're relative liberal, kindly, partying pussy cats in comparison - they have taken the Mr Nasty crown.

Well done creationists - see you can sucessfully challenge worldviews! Our minds aren't closed, its just the trick is to use evidence rather than drivel. You provided the evidence you changed my paradigm. Now see can you do the same for creation 'science' :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:06 pm

cathy wrote:You know I'd long held the worldview that catholicism was the nastiest christian sect, but creationism has challenged that worldview big time. We're relative liberal, kindly, partying pussy cats in comparison - they have taken the Mr Nasty crown.

My understanding is that in the USA the RCC is generally considered to be liberal and I strongly suspect that's exactly the case in much of Western Europe.

I've also come to the conclusion that much of US fundamentalism is becoming far more extreme that even the Scientologists, which really is saying something. I had a run in with the Scientologists in San Francisco years back. A bunch of bullying, opinionated, arrogant pricks but at least they were not claiming to children it is OK to kill everyone who doesn't share their views.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Dagsannr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm waiting for someone to announce that some Japanese fishermen have caught a pleisosaur in their nets.
There are 2 types of people in the world:

Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Dagsannr

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 am

It was decomposing whale.

The fact that ACE don't like discussing their course content and preview material is no longer visible on the 'net rather suggests they have something to hide.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Return to News and Links