Does the bible really teach this.

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

Does the bible really teach this.

Postby Michael » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:18 am

found on Premier forum;

Sin entered through one man. Eve did not sin, she was deceived. However, Adam did commit sin by submitting to his wife.

Sin itself is passed through the sperm, not through the ovum. Hence Mary could conceive a perfect human, no sperm, Holy Spirit only.

Serious theological comments only please
Michael

Re: Does the bible really teach this.

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 am

Michael wrote:found on Premier forum;

Sin entered through one man. Eve did not sin, she was deceived. However, Adam did commit sin by submitting to his wife.

Sin itself is passed through the sperm, not through the ovum. Hence Mary could conceive a perfect human, no sperm, Holy Spirit only.

Well, theological (at least fundamentalist theology) tells me that there was no death before the fall. Biology tells me with have a symbiotic relationship with many bacteria, without which we would die.

So Adam would have exploded soon after he was turned from a pile of mud into a person. What, with all thse bacteria reproducing every 30 minutes or so and none of them dying, he would have mushroomed up like a balloon within a few hours and wh=ould have had the mass of the entire earth at the end of the first day.

Moreover, not only would he have had early trouble in using his willie (not being able to see it, for example) but also would have so rapidly become fat that that he would have killed Eve in the act of love.

So, no children and no mankind according to a literal interpretation of Genesis.

Another explanation? The theory of evolution by natural explanation.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 am

Michael wrote:found on Premier forum;

There's a certain amount of extra biblical reasoning in the first half and the second half appears to flirt with Arianism. At first glanse I might suggest its the writing of a femisnist theologian, but at second glance I suspect their grasp of theology is isn't much better than mine! Or its just plain barking.
jon_12091

Postby tubataxidriver » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:16 am

Is sin

(i) a substance (physical or transendental),
    (ii) a condition of humans or objects,
    (iii) an act committed by humans, or
    (iv) any two or all three?

The comments above seem to imply all three uses.

Forgive my ignorance on these matters.
tubataxidriver

Postby psiloiordinary » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:47 pm

It is also the code name for the next version of windows I think

:-)

Psi
psiloiordinary

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:59 am

May be of interest - Christians who think scriptures don't demand YEC dogmatic science denial (I have not heard whether 'Dr Tertius' is still suffering from typhus):
https://www.facebook.com/ProfTertius/po ... 7882744776
https://www.facebook.com/ProfTertius
a_haworthroberts

Postby magnocrat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:50 pm

Sin did not enter until they ate of the tree of knowledge. Remember they realised they were naked. This is why animals cannot sin they have no self- awareness and no conscience. This story in the bible is pointing out the division between man and other animals. Dogs will copulate in the busy street. ' Morals maketh Man'.
magnocrat

Return to Scripture Debate