Creationists recruiting Flintstones - and Raquel Welch!

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Creationists recruiting Flintstones - and Raquel Welch!

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Evolution of confusion: pupils take dinosaur fiction for fact

News | Published in The TES on 3 July, 2009 | By: Adi Bloom
Academic says failure to teach young children scientific truth plays into creationists’ hands

All pupils should be taught evolution from primary school onwards so they do not mistake Barney the dinosaur for scientific fact, a leading science education academic has said.

James Williams, lecturer in education at the University of Sussex, believes TV programmes such as The Flintstones and Barney & Friends, as well as films such as One Million Years BC (pictured), starring Raquel Welch as a bikini-clad cavewoman, have created a pop-culture cliche of interaction between humans and dinosaurs which is exploited by creationists.

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?story ... navcode=94
Although Dr Williams was addressing the British Humanist Association, I can't find any mention of it on the BHA web site.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:30 pm

From the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... onism.html

Children as young as five should be taught about evolution to prevent them mistaking Barney the Dinosaur and Fred Flintstone for scientific fact, an academic has claimed.
James Williams, lecturer in education at Sussex University, says that letting pupils believe dinosaurs and humans lived together plays into the hands of creationists.

The Flintstone: The TV caveman and his dinosaur friends could give children the wrong idea about evolution

TV programmes such as The Flintstones and Barney & Friends, and films such as One Million Years BC, have created a popular culture cliche which is exploited by creationists, Professor Williams told the Times Educational Supplement.

He warned that creationists - who claim that God created the world and all its animals in six days - go to great lengths to influence children with comics and videos that mix scientific misconceptions with proper science.
He cited creationist literature which contained images of dinosaurs in the Garden of Eden.

Barney and Friends: An education expert said believing humans and dinosaurs lived together is a distortion of science

He said: 'This wilful distortion of real science in favour of pseudoscience is nothing less than intellectual abuse.'
Creationists have a right to publish their views, he added, but 'the

Personally Brian, I've always wondered about Hanna Barbera and if they were YECs, seriously ! Did they get the idea from the YECs or was it vice versa ? I've also heard Hovind refer to Barney.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:07 am

Peter Henderson wrote:

Personally Brian, I've always wondered about Hanna Barbera and if they were YECs, seriously ! Did they get the idea from the YECs or was it vice versa ? I've also heard Hovind refer to Barney.

Well, I've long taken the view that some of the dimmer creationists, especialy in the USA, really do get their cretinism from the Flintsones, etc.. By and large creationists are not very bright.

It all reminds me of the old saga when Orson Well's radio play on martians invading the earth was broadcast in the USA in the 1930s. result - mass exodus from places like New York.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 pm

Well, I've long taken the view that some of the dimmer creationists, especialy in the USA, really do get their cretinism from the Flintsones, etc.. By and large creationists are not very bright.

Indeed Roger, although I suppose we're no better. Still, I think the standard of NI science education is probably better than that of the US so at least this has prevented us from decending into oblivion, so far, despite the politicians and those who should know better (e.g. Nevin).

Did your proposed trip to "Ireland" ever come off (think you said you were going to Dublin). I should be in Hampshire in August (Southampton) for a week.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:29 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:

Indeed Roger, although I suppose we're no better. Still, I think the standard of NI science education is probably better than that of the US so at least this has prevented us from decending into oblivion, so far, despite the politicians and those who should know better (e.g. Nevin).

Did your proposed trip to "Ireland" ever come off (think you said you were going to Dublin). I should be in Hampshire in August (Southampton) for a week.

The event in Dublin appears to have been called off months ago, presumably through lack of interest.

It would be great if we could meet up in August, Peter. My diary is pretty well open for the entire month.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:23 pm

It would be great if we could meet up in August, Peter. My diary is pretty well open for the entire month.

That would be fun Roger. I may hire a car for a few days so should be able to get up to Winchester quite easily, or I could take the train or bus which may be easier rather than negotiating the M3 (which is a horrible road to drive on especially at rush hour). I'm staying in the Premier Inn (the city one) from the 11-18th August. Lorna was hoping to see her sister and let the kids spend some time with their cousins.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:33 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:

That would be fun Roger. I may hire a car for a few days so should be able to get up to Winchester quite easily, or I could take the train or bus which may be easier rather than negotiating the M3 (which is a horrible road to drive on especially at rush hour). I'm staying in the Premier Inn (the city one) from the 11-18th August. Lorna was hoping to see her sister and let the kids spend some time with their cousins.

Train is the best Peter. there's usually one about every 12 minutes from Southampton Central. Winchester station is pretty close to the centre of town and I can easily meet you there.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:31 pm

Train is the best Peter. there's usually one about every 12 minutes from Southampton Central. Winchester station is pretty close to the centre of town and I can easily meet you there.

Sounds good Roger. Apparently the hotel is next to the train station as well so that would probably be the easier option. Must visit the Cathedral again. Some of my photos of it have done quite well in the competitions.
Peter Henderson

Return to News and Links