Creationists taking on evolution in Germany

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Creationists taking on evolution in Germany

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:51 pm

From The Local:

http://www.thelocal.de/society/20090326-18267.html

Herald Janssen reckons that if people could only see a replica of Noah's Ark, they might be swayed toward the Biblical story of creation.

''It was as big as an oil-tanker,'' he says. ''If you could see it, you'd start to think, 'Wow, it might have fit all the animals in there.'''

Articulate and obviously well-read, Janssen, who sits on the board of a Swiss non-profit group that wants to build a Bible-themed fun park in Germany, nevertheless makes some unsupportable claims.

''It's a well-known fact that scientists are abandoning evolution,'' he says. ''Creationism is like a cross to a vampire for evolutionists. Empirical scientists have already abandoned this theory and ... in a few years, it won't be in the science books anymore.''
Peter Henderson

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:59 am

But the scientists are less worried about incremental gains by conservative churches than they are about the general neglect of science in Germany. It's the neglect of science that makes people vulnerable to pseudo-scientific and charismatic religious claims, they say.

''Too many people simply aren't interested in these questions,'' says Professor Junker. ''We need a much better education in biology and evolution. People in German schools don't get any education in evolution after the 10th grade ... not just in school but for the rest of their lives. That's a big problem.''
Says it all - well, most of it.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:50 am

Brian Jordan wrote:
But the scientists are less worried about incremental gains by conservative churches than they are about the general neglect of science in Germany. It's the neglect of science that makes people vulnerable to pseudo-scientific and charismatic religious claims, they say.

''Too many people simply aren't interested in these questions,'' says Professor Junker. ''We need a much better education in biology and evolution. People in German schools don't get any education in evolution after the 10th grade ... not just in school but for the rest of their lives. That's a big problem.''

Surely that goes for the UK public as well Brian ? How many people do biology after third form for example ? I was lucky in the fact that our school (a) had an excellent geology teacher and (b) did geology up to A-Level. It was my exposure to geology at a young age that made me realise that YECism was utter crap when I first encountered it.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Brian Jordan wrote:

Surely that goes for the UK public as well Brian ? How many people do biology after third form for example ? I was lucky in the fact that our school (a) had an excellent geology teacher and (b) did geology up to A-Level. It was my exposure to geology at a young age that made me realise that YECism was utter crap when I first encountered it.

It still surprises me, though, because most of us are exposed to the theory of evolution long before it is formally taught at school. One only has to watch BBC/Attenborugh nature programmes to get the message. Seems to me that in a lot of cretinist homes, such stuff must be censored so that the kids don't see it. I assume that they get cretinist encyclopedias and are banned from using public libraries.

In answer to you question, Peter, about what percentage of children are taught biology after third form, in my (grammar) school it was about two-thirds. Biology was an option after the end of the 2nd year. However, geography was compulsory and, if memory serves me well, evolution and the old age of the earth were explicit in that subject. Geology was not cumpulsory at any age and only a few of us studied it.

There really is no excuse for someone passing through the education system not to understand the basics of evolution theory or the old age of the earth.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links