Nick Cohen in the Guardian

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Nick Cohen in the Guardian

Postby psiloiordinary » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 pm

psiloiordinary

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:23 am

Oh, but the comments - what a wearisome selection :( Still, like one of the commenters I'd like chapter and verse on creationist students being told to take their claptrap home. There's a family story of a Further Education teacher telling his students "There's no point in coming to these classes if you're not going to do anything." Which I suppose amounted to the same thing.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:Oh, but the comments - what a wearisome selection :( Still, like one of the commenters I'd like chapter and verse on creationist students being told to take their claptrap home. There's a family story of a Further Education teacher telling his students "There's no point in coming to these classes if you're not going to do anything." Which I suppose amounted to the same thing.

I had a long chat with Nick Cohen before he wrote this report.

One of the bog problems we have is that we really have no idea how widespread is the acceptance of YEC and ID in the UK. Nealry all of the info about problems in universities is anecdotal. Nor is it clear to what extent the problem is Islamic creationism.

I'll stab at a guess and say that they is particulary a problem in St Andrews University (hence the tirade letter we received from one of the ID/creationist academics there some weeks ago).
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:04 pm

One of the bog problems we have is that we really have no idea how widespread is the acceptance of YEC and ID in the UK

Roger:

As I have said in the past, all the evangelical denominations, both in NI and the rest of the UK, are now firmly backing YECism (largely as a result of the influence of AiG, in my opinion). All you have to do is find out how many adherents there are in these denominations (i.e. Brethren, Baptist, Elim etc.) and that should at least give you a baseline on which to work with. As Michael has highlighted, it appears to be a growing problem within the Anglican community. The Methodist church in England also appears to be affected, unlike in NI. Here, the Methodist Church in Ireland seems to be opposed to YECism. Likewise it doesn't seem to be a problem in the Church of Ireland.

YECism is lower on the mainland simply because church attendance is lower. Outside of evangelical church circles (both in NI and the rest of the UK) YECism is non-existent. I wold imagine YECs would be very difficult to find in the secular community.

Hence, I still see YECism as largely a church problem, rather than a science one.
Peter Henderson

Return to News and Links