Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Schoolkids' visits to creationist zoo

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:50 pm

a_haworthroberts

Re: Schoolkids' visits to creationist zoo

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:00 pm

http://www.earthhistory.org.uk/about
PS This appears to be a website site maintained by Noah's Ark Zoo Farm. Not a mainstream educational site. It presents itself as both anti-Darwinist and anti- traditional YEC-ism.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:57 pm

PPS
http://www.noahsarkzoofarm.co.uk/pages/ ... h-history/
"We're often guided into following one of broadly two supposed explanations for the origin and diversity of life, Darwinism or Creationism, the latter often criticised by academics although many people believe in a creator God. As a zoo run with Christian principles, coupled with an appreciation of the diversity of the natural world that has undoubtedly been shaped by evolution; on examination of the evidence we believe an alternative explanation which shares some features with both ideologies may in fact be more accurate. We argue the case for a new approach in this section and the linked pages explore the science of evolution, geology and the age of the earth, and an introduction to Recolonisation Theory." (This carries a link to the other site - which looks like a 'mainstream' site but is not.)

The truth is that Noah's Ark Zoo Farm wish to push an 'alternative' form of creationism (even orthodox YEC-ism frequently now incorporates some form of rapid - and unbiblical - 'post-flood' evolution even though they refuse to use that term). They don't have a 'third' option or totally 'new' approach. They still believe in a worldwide flood - vast eons ago - as otherwise 'recolonisation' would mean little if anything (unless you think perhaps of the Permian extinction event which was not a big flood).

http://www.earthhistory.org.uk/recolonisation
This page states at (4), after trying to rule out Darwinist evolution and YEC and OEC:
"The preserved history of the Earth begins immediately after the catastrophe, as magma surged towards the surface behind the released subterranean waters and renewed its crust [Genesis says no such thing it implies that the floodwaters subsided allowing the land surface to be exposed again]. Only now was there an ocean on the surface; there was almost no dry land. The geological record documents the planet’s gradual recovery, beginning with oceanic bacteria and algae [this points to the fossil observed fossil record and to evolution - though they might argue that oceanic life was there first because the flood killed land-based life only], in conditions that were to remain unstable for tens of thousands of years. Continental crust grew by volcanic processes, in the course of which it was repeatedly torn apart and reworked, layer upon layer. [no hint of that in Genesis] Species diversified over time from a small number of basic designs [no hint of that in Genesis]."
Also:
"Thus at various points along the way (there were also lesser extinction events) Earth’s recolonisation was severely set back. At the end of the Permian, more than 90% of species are estimated to have gone extinct [no hint of such in post-flood Genesis; God promised no more events like the flood]. The Hadean provides the context and some of the explanation for these later events. Earth has not always been as tranquil as in the last few thousand years, when man, taking advantage of its quietness, has completed the recolonisation process and built cities on it as if it would last forever [according to Genesis 8:22 at least it was supposed to be always quiet - as quiet as in the last 4,500 or so years - post-flood, certainly climate-wise!]."

This is a form of creationism/'flood geology'/'flood biology' (not a third scientific 'theory' of Earth history). They accept that Earth is very old (I think) - but then are forced to regard eg the Permian extinction as both post-flood and also something experienced by humanity (which managed to 'survive' it).

Because I note that they link Noah's Flood to the very ancient Hadean 'cataclysm' (but that was only the Late Heavy Bombardment as far as I know) and then allow for other 'lesser' catastrophes/extinction events since then! "The fossil sequence represents the recovery of marine and terrestrial populations after a cataclysm at the base of the geological record. The original landmass was destroyed by water rupturing it from below and asteroids from above, as attested geologically at the end of the period called the Hadean and historically in folk traditions from all over the world (including Genesis)." Neither scientific nor biblical (what about those 40 days of rain; wrong like YEC-ism is wrong, and also OEC-ism, but in a different way).

However it would appear that this stuff is not pushed to schoolkids during school visits.
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:05 am

"They accept that Earth is very old (I think)".

Well older than 6,000 years at any rate:
http://www.earthhistory.org.uk/about
"We take no position on the age of the Earth, except to point out that its claimed age of 4.6 billion years old rests on the assumption that rates of radioactive decay have always been constant. That is a fundamental tenet that science is currently unprepared to question. In our opinion, the primary evidence (some of which we discuss) indicates much shorter timescales."
And more here:
http://www.earthhistory.org.uk/questions-of-age (an eclectic mix of astronomical, geological and other speculation)

All in all, a classic fudge.

I'm sending this thread to Noah's Ark Zoo Farm as a comment on their - other - website. (Also flagging this thread to the BCSE's Michael Roberts, as I understand from Wikipedia that he once wrote a letter to the Church Times about this visitor attraction.)

Incidentally there appears to be NO mention of either Anthony Bush or Noah's Ark Zoo Farm on that other - new? - website.
a_haworthroberts

Postby jon_12091 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:47 am

Recolonisation is fringe even by creationist standards - and has been critised by YECs for not being YEC....

IIRC correctly the owner is the principle driver for its stance. The amount of creationism seems to have declined over the years - possibly correlating with the owner, who is certainly of pensionable age, taking less of a day to day management role. IIRC correctly the manager is one of his children.

Yes they are accredited by 'Council for Learning Outside the Classroom' back in the late 2000's. I and may be other members of the BCSE did write to LOTC at the time, which seems to be a classic box ticking QA mark awarding body, but I at least recieved no response.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Return to News and Links