Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Private Universities Coming to the UK?

Postby jon_12091 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 pm

'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Re: Private Universities Coming to the UK?

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:24 pm

Alison Wolf, professor of public sector management at King’s College London, said a change to legislation could damage the UK’s reputation for higher education and leave students at risk of using student loans to buy worthless degrees.
I thought we'd got to that stage already.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:59 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Alison Wolf, professor of public sector management at King’s College London, said a change to legislation could damage the UK’s reputation for higher education and leave students at risk of using student loans to buy worthless degrees.
I thought we'd got to that stage already.

Private universities have been around for a long time. My former tutor ran University of Buckingham in the early 1980s. The problem is that few students (or employers) like them. Moreover, whilst many US universities are private, most are generally not considered to be very good and some are abysmal. Entrance is often rigged and not entirely based on merit (that includes the very top universities).

Moreover UK universities are generally considered to be honest in awarding degrees - that's why so many foreigners want to study in the UK. Even in countries like Israel, universities are considered to be dodgy.

So it begs the question who is going to set up these private universities? For years we've had offshoots of US universities operating in the UK and they all all basically unknown to the public (including the university educated).

One last point - I wasn't aware that British universities are publicly owned universities (the former polytechnics are still party state owned by virtues of their physical buildings handed over from country council ownership). I suspect what is really meant by "private universities" are those that are "for profit" institutions.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:43 pm

I was present at one the UKs newest uiversities pre and post-title and grandfarthering invovling existing universities appeared to be part of that process - personally I can't see too many existing UK instiutions wanting to get involved in helping for-profit outfits with dubious academic redentials achieve title.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:39 am

It looks at though the ground is being prepared: there are claims of a rash of firsts being given as universities compete for those £27,000 per degree fees.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3521044/Crackdown-universities-giving-firsts-like-confetti-compete-students-paying-9-000-year-fees.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:31 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:It looks at though the ground is being prepared: there are claims of a rash of firsts being given as universities compete for those £27,000 per degree fees.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3521044/Crackdown-universities-giving-firsts-like-confetti-compete-students-paying-9-000-year-fees.html

If the Daily Mail is anything to believe (it often isn't), the problem seems to be with the former polytechnics which were usually the place of second choice for would be students after they failed to get into a traditional university.

My personal gripe is that it was wrong to upgrade the polytechnics to universities; they were got at vocational qualifications and pretty useless at purely academic subjects. I've probably said it before, but the opportunity was lost to get polytechnics in providing quality post-grad vocational qualifications from students whose first degrees were not very vocationally oriented. That combination would have put them in a strong position with would be employers - offering brainy students who actually knew what they were doing in the world of work.

Alas the former polytechnics still have the reputation of being, well, just polytechnics, with the less bright students.

I went down the university first then the post grad polytechnic route btw.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links