You win some, you lose some

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

You win some, you lose some

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Tectonic activity on frozen tiny Pluto? Perhaps it could be 'young'?

New 'unbiblical' large winged dinosaur discovery in China:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33510288

PS at 11.00 pm:
- I of course really meant 'large' by bird standards (not large by dinosaur standards);
- propaganda propaganda Here We Go Here We Go ... http://crev.info/2015/07/pluto-is-young/ (yes I HAVE read this - it's no doubt the first of many out of context YEC cherry pickings of the evidence of apparent 'live' geology going on on Pluto and Charon and the resulting extrapolation that the former planet and its moon 'must' be only 6,000 years old - this one by an ex NASA employee being particularly ironic and 'backstabbing' in nature)

PPS at 11.50 pm:
I have now also read the two COMMENTS under the blog post. In replying to an enquirer, the 'Editor' (who has banned me from commenting under his propaganda articles), appears to be LYING in order to keep his '(very) young Pluto' hypothesis afloat under false pretences. He writes:
"The problem for old-agers is that the available radioisotopes are short-lived, and would have burned out billions of years ago. Comment by Eric Hand in Science Magazine: “Radioactive elements in both bodies’ interiors could provide some of the heat needed for geological mountain building or ice flows that repave the surface. But Pluto, and especially Charon, are far too small for this heat to persist.”"
Which got me wondering which radioisotopes are the ones in question. Especially since writer Eric Hand (article cited by Coppedge) and also Dr Robert Massey have apparently said NOTHING about 'short-lived' isotopes only about the small size of Pluto and the even smaller size of its largest moon:
http://news.sciencemag.org/space/2015/0 ... eat-coming
"Radioactive elements in both bodies’ interiors could provide some of the heat needed for geological mountain building or ice flows that repave the surface. But Pluto, and especially Charon, are far too small for this heat to persist."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science ... arned.html
(In oral comments here, which can be heard after an annoying advert, Massey speculates about a possible 'radioactive core' like that of Earth within these worlds - and he says NOTHING about 'short-lived' radioisotopes ruling out the possibility.)
I then found THIS article which mentions radioactive isotopes believed to be (still) decaying in Earth's core or mantle (not sure exactly which) - it mentions Potassium 40, Uranium 238, Uranium 235, and Thorium 232.
http://phys.org/news/2006-03-probing-earth-core.html
Having checked online, I see that the half lives of these isotopes are respectively 12,510,000,000 years, 4,468,000,000 years, 703,800,000 years and 'around' 14,000,000,000 years. That is NOT remotely 'short-lived'. Any fool who bothers to check this YEC fraud's comment can SEE that.

Hardline agenda-driven YECs say a scientific falsification of part of the Bible might undermine ALL of it. However, ONE detail from science APPEARING to vaguely 'agree' with YEC expectations does NOT either 'prove' the YEC worldview or falsify the whole of naturalistic 'historical science'. Science is not an unchanging 'sacred text' but the pursuit of knowledge about how things work in nature.

I'm NOT saying radioactive decay SOLVES the riddle of current/recent geological activity on Pluto. Their small size might be a real issue.

But WHY is this ex-NASA YEC ideologue David Coppedge (or someone else monitoring comments on his blogs) SO determined to try and rule it out on utterly FALSE pretences?

Because BAD people become online YEC ideologues I would suggest.

(I hope that the enquirer David Johnson will either check out the nonsense being fed to him or stumble upon this pro-science forum.)
a_haworthroberts

Re: You win some, you lose some

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:54 pm

Interesting stuff there: they're admitting that mountains are formed by geological processes, not special creation. So they've would have to fall back on catastrophic plate tectonics for an explanation. Are there any size limits for a body to have such tectonics, I wonder.

Strangely Ashley, I didn't notice any claims that those dinosaurs were dragons. Maybe they were too small - but wasn't everything supposed bby creationists to have been gigantic in those days and became smaller over the ensuing 5000 yers?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

YEC claims about Pluto

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:40 pm

It's difficult to know exactly what to read into the lack of craters on Pluto and its largest moon. The 'late heavy bombardment' is theorised as an early INNER solar system event - but one would still expect past if not present-day impacts from small Kuiper Belt/scattered disk objects orbiting beyond Neptune.

Last night I sent an email as follows:

"Pluto - and MORE proof positive that online YECs are cynical deliberate Liars.

Well I THINK so Dr David Coppedge.

But please all check for YOURSELVES - if you care about hypocrisy and lying by professing Christians who surely MUST know better about the scientific topics they address.

Full details are at this link
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3691&p=50463#p50463

A H-R
PS I believe Coppedge BLOCKS my emails. Someone else - if they agree with my comments at the BCSE - might wish to forward this message to him at editor@crev.info and crev@dgdigital.net so he can READ IT and explain himself. And also correct - IF he made an honest mistake and IF he does not want to continue to mislead the enquirer. If you DO forward the message to CREV please could I see a sideways copy? Thanks."
a_haworthroberts

Return to News and Links