Claim: teaching evolution stops pupil becoming vet

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Claim: teaching evolution stops pupil becoming vet

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

One might have thought the reverse applied: if this pupil didn't learn about evolution, she was not qualified to study veterinary medicine.
However, her father knows better: he says evolution is a religion, something he's proven by "DNA, scientific and mathematical facts". Accordingly, he's taking the school to court for promoting a religion. Because of this, he says,
“Their actions during the 2014-2015 school year affects my child’s future directly through the state grading system to enter college and the ability to earn economic security and a good job in her chosen veterinarian medical field of work,”
I imagine this translates as "my aaughter's flunked her biology exam because she listened to me instead of her teachers."
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/west-virginia-man-sues-education-officials-for-teaching-his-daughter-religion-of-evolution-10287709.html
The NCSE is mentioned as providing a link, which is copied, to the legal papers but there is no link to the NCSE site and i haven't looked yet
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Claim: teaching evolution stops pupil becoming vet

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:17 pm

The NCSE report is here; http://ncse.com/news/2015/05/antievolution-lawsuit-filed-west-virginia-0016380
It just shows that the legal case is doomed and doesn't bother discussing the father's amazing "discovery".
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Claim: teaching evolution stops pupil becoming vet

Postby cathy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm

Well to be a vet over here you need at least A*, A,A, at A level in chemistry, biology and preferably one other science or maths. You need above what you'd need for medicine which is A, A, A. You need at least 7 A* s at GCSE. You need a really good personal statement. You need significant amounts of work experience at vets (washing floors and if you're lucky watching operations) farms, animal sanctuaries etc. If it looks likely you're on track you might be lucky enough to get an interview. Which will actually be a horrendous series of interviews. From my own daughters experiences and from many years at seeing students trying to get onto it at work it is one of the hardest courses to get on to.

As for evolution! At one of my daughters interviews she was shown the bones of a dogs paw and the hoof of a horse and asked how they were similar. Luckily they do evolution and the horses hooves is the classic so she pointed how the bones had shifted. So I think he'd only have a case if she hadn't been taught evolution. My daughter had to answer some weird ethics questions as well, with no right answers that relied on her arguing her case. So I bit of the absolutist biblical literalism ain't gonna help his daughter either. Lots of shades of grey.

In her first year she did quite a lot on the evolution of various bits, mainly skeletal. If you don't accept evolution you'll struggle with that. This is medicine but with many species. I doubt you could learn it without knowing about evolution.

So I think the bloke on question is talking out of his bottom. Vet schools in the US are unlikely to be any different. In fact I know they aren't because my daughters course is accredited with the US as well, allowing her to work over there without additional qualifications.

I suspect his daughters grades aren't good enough. I suspect they aren't good enough because creationist loonies have messed them up :evil:

But given it's at least five years he's probably done it to save himself some money. My daughter has just passed her pre clinical 3 years and I've had to fork out for stethoscopes, scrubs, various pointy things to cut up creatures etc. And I have a horrible feeling that the rabbit and the gerbils will have departed this life long before she gets through the next two years meaning I won't even benefit from no longer having to pay our vet.

Then again I'm filled with envy because if I'd been clever enough I would have loved to be a vet. I can't imagine anything better.
cathy

Return to News and Links