Gove's Follies - latest list revealed

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Gove's Follies - latest list revealed

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:05 pm

The BHA has a list of the "Free" school applications in the next wave - a link to the list is in the linked article.
Besides announcing the list, the article complains about obfuscation by the DfE over details of those schools which have been "pre-approved" by the Department. Quite how some schools get advanced approval isn't clear to me but evidently some applicants are Gove's pets.
https://humanism.org.uk/2014/06/27/government-publishes-latest-groups-applied-set-free-schools/
Edit to add:
I can't open the list. Any attempt offers to save it as an Excel file and then fails.
Is it my ancient Office software or a bad file?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Gove's Follies - latest list revealed

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 pm

I could not open the file with the suffix xlsx either.
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:02 am

Not quite sure what the list is, whether it's just proposers or what. However what was extremely worrying alongside the very high number of Muslim schools was the number of CST schools, nine and ACE schools, six. That is fifteen potentially extremist Christian schools possibly riding on the back of Trojan Horse and using the fact it has diverted attention away from Christian schools.

I don't know what this list is, it includes two very ongoing CST bids (Barnsley and Bradford) and Marantha.

The other problem is I longer have a great deal of faith in BHA having read a piece on ten things you wouldn't believe about faith schools that was worthy of any creationist in terms of misleading bullshit, cherry picking and misleading by omission of detail to quote an atheist friend of mine who teaches in a RC primary.

I will have a better look later maybe[/quote]
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:30 pm

cathy wrote:Not quite sure what the list is, whether it's just proposers or what. However what was extremely worrying alongside the very high number of Muslim schools was the number of CST schools, nine and ACE schools, six. That is fifteen potentially extremist Christian schools possibly riding on the back of Trojan Horse and using the fact it has diverted attention away from Christian schools.
AFAIK these are applications awaiting investigation. Except some have somehow gained Gove's imprimatur prior to going public.
As for going public, I thought the whole point of the DfE's refusal to provided details was to prevent the world from knowing who was behind these proposals: but there's still no indication on the list. How did you discover there are CST and ACE schools Cathy? Could my download still be missing columns?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:54 pm

AFAIK these are applications awaiting investigation. Except some have somehow gained Gove's imprimatur prior to going public.
As for going public, I thought the whole point of the DfE's refusal to provided details was to prevent the world from knowing who was behind these proposals: but there's still no indication on the list. How did you discover there are CST and ACE schools Cathy? Could my download still be missing columns?

Brian quite weirdly I have brought up two distinctly different lists from exactly the same link depending on whether it is via the normal computer or my i pad.

The i pad version, linked to from your post and link to BHA, and from their link gives far more schools, none of which seem to be on the computer list, and specifically mentions CST or ACE after each name. Going to recheck but it is very odd indeed. Same links but completely different lists? If you have an i pad or i phone try and see what you get.

More subterfuge from BHA?
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:15 pm

Brian this is really weird. I have checked and rechecked. I go from your link on my PC and my i pad. Brings me to the same BHA page. I then go to their link 'See who the latest proposers are: Rechecked the addresses, they too are exactly the same. Click on link and go in and get two completely different lists!!!! The i pad list is far more contentious than the PC one. It contain a separate column if converting from existing independent school which is where the CST and ACE are clearly displayed, plus nearly everyone of the Muslim schools displayed is converting from an independent which I'd be hazarding a guess have something to do with AMS.

The i pad list looks weird. It is not a comprehensive list of schools because Grindon Hall isn't there, but the Bradford and Barnsley applications are. It doesn't match the BHA write up as about 50 are Christian (including two RC), 25 are Muslim, 11 are Steiner, 1 Hindu, 3 Sikh. One of the Christian ones says creationist? so whether this is the BHAs propaganda list published by mistake for apple?

Either way the information you must be getting is the same as I seem to be getting on my PC. No obvious CST mentions. Perhaps someone else with an i pad needs to compare the two lists?
cathy

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Problem solved. You have to sort thru the various waves on the i pad link to get to the one that matches. No mention of CST or ACE there. However difficult to find and I can't help wondering what is going on.

Best bet is to go direct to the horses mouth
https://www.gov.uk/government/.../free- ... plication- information

And click on the link to the spreadsheet Application Information for free schools wave 6. That should get you to the definitive list for Jan 2014 for opening Sept 2015.

Some dodgy looking names, including the Christian Life Community one.
cathy

Return to News and Links