Muslim extremism in some UK schools?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Muslim extremism in some UK schools?

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:56 pm

A report today from the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/review-o ... 1402279919
"Among the allegations: children were being taught tenets of Islamic law, or Shariah, including creationism; girls and boys were segregated during physical education; radical preachers were leading assemblies; and non-Muslim teachers were denied promotions."
This seems to imply - wrongly I think - that Muslim creationism is part of Shariah law.
a_haworthroberts

Re: Muslim extremism in some UK schools?

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:37 pm

I haven't access to the journal without setting up an account, but I imagine it's just careless reporting that appears to link creationism with sharia. It's interesting that they mention it at all though: so far I've only found this snippet in a second-hand account on the NSS site:
...pupils were taught that evolution was not what they believed...
and haven't time to plough through the full OFSTED stuff at the moment.
http://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2014/06/religious-fundamentalism-exposed-in-birmingham-schools-by-ofsted-reports
I wonder how many copies of Oktar's "Atlas of Creation" the inspectors found in the various schools?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I'm slowly ploughing thru them. They make interesting reading. But I really haven't a clue what is going on and am sick of reading mountains and mountains of bullshit about it. From the anti faith school lobby (like the NSS) who are too thick to realise that they aren't faith schools, from the right wing haters of Birmingham city council who are too stupid to understand the majority of the schools are academies and from the harder line muslims claiming discrimination.

All in all this is the best article I've found summing up what all of them have been saying.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 0910232164

The local news is best. Midlands to day has actually clarified that the schools are academies therefore nowt to do with the LEA. They have also clarified that the schools are NOT faith schools either.

They've pointed out that some of the schools, like Waverly ended up as outstanding. And went into the schools. The one thing I did notice, that made me agree with the Ofsted inspectors was at Waverley there was a mixture of girls attire. Some Muslims in hijabs some not. At park view I did not see a single girl without a hijab.

Any way I'm heartily fed up with the whole thing and totally disillusioned with the standards of journalism in the country.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links