Start sobbing Sylvia - your Bridge is burning!

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Re: Start sobbing Sylvia - your Bridge is burning!

Postby cathy » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:21 pm

I can't find links between Trojan Horse and AMS. Will have to watch the daily politics to see. Whatever there was will have been covered up by now I suspect.

However there has been a very credible interview with one of the non Muslim heads. She concurs with Clarke that there was a concerted effort by a small group of individuals to undermine senior leaders at her school and the tactics and language used was similar to that found in other schools. There was constant questioning, harassment and complaints from one parent and some governors. It included complaints about Christmas and music. The person in question was allowed to remove his son from Christmas activities but not music as that is a national curriculum subject. He was the only one out of 700 pupils. She said they were almost trying to force the senior leaders to look for other jobs.

It sounds similar to other stories where heads had been bullied out. And has reminded me of the story at a school called Nine Stiles which was exonerated early on but had had a mention in the original Trojan Horse. There a Muslim teaching assistant had gone apeshit when she found, or claimed she'd found, bacon in the halal section of the school canteen. I'm now very sure that what looked like a non story at the time was also part of the plot to discredit non Muslim heads. But one that had failed.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Maybe this is it: I've just found this report in the Guardian from the 17th
"The agenda, but not the tactics, involved stem from an international movement to increase the role of Islam in education." Two organisations identified by Clarke as being behind the movement are the Muslim Council of Britain and the Association of Muslim Schools – UK.

In the 90-page interim report Clarke attempts to answer questions about some of the incendiary issues prompted by the "Trojan horse" letter...
More to our subject, it also says
5. Teaching belief as fact

"Staff have said creationism has been taught as science lessons at both Park View and Golden Hillock and also in assemblies. One child said she had been taught that she was made of clay because there is no evolution."
The Clarke report I linked to earlier comes to 137pp as a pdf - could be different because of an artefact or rewriting.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jul/17/birmingham-schools-inquiry-hardline-sunni-islam-trojan-horse
Having seen that, I've re-searched the report I downloaded because Firefox seems very poor at searching. Opera found this:
5.3 This agenda, though not necessarily the tactics involved, appears to stem from an international movement to increase the role of Islam in education. It is supported by bodies such as the Association of Muslim Schools–UK (AMS-UK), the International Board of Educational Research and Resources (IBERR), the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) and the recently closed Muslim Parents Association (MPA). The movement provides practical advice and religious legitimisation to those who, in the words of the IBERR, seek to ‘Islamise the provision of educational services’. Some of the individuals who have featured in the investigation were associated with, or held positions in, these bodies.
and
6.9 In fact, Mr Alam is widely known for his energetic promotion of Islamic education. He has been an executive board member of the Association of Muslim Schools UK (AMS-UK) since 2003 - on which he represented Al-Hijrah School - and until recently was its vice chair. He was Director of Training for the Al-Hijrah Academy and was also, along with the chair of governors of the Oldknow Academy and two others, a director of the recently dissolved Muslim Parents Association. He has addressed a large number of Islamic educational conferences
The clay story is there too:
Teaching belief as fact
4.24 Staff have said that creationism has been taught as fact in science lessons and in assemblies at Park View School. A member of staff at Park View reported that pupils had said: ‘I’m made of clay[...]There is no evolution. I’m made of clay because that is what Mr Hussain [the acting headteacher] told us in assemblies’.
Which I think is even more damning than the Guardian version.
My apologies to everyone for missing this after I'd brought up the topic.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:45 pm

Difficult to find the board members of AMS but think I've found evidence he does inspect for Bridge Schools Inspectorate.

Couldn't find a list of inspectors, but checked a few of their inspections in the midlands to see who the inspectors were. Third school I looked at was the Emmanual Christian School in Walsall. One of the inspectors was a Mr T Alam. :wink:

Think I've said before that he'd also a member of the govt think tank prevent, to try and prevent radicalisation.

Although you can't find him on the AMS website very easily, you can find courses for governors that he has run for AMS.

Anyway the important thing to note is that he has inspected CST schools as part of the joint BSI remit.

There were articles about the successes of Park View under its previous head Lindsey Clarke that pre date Trojan horse. The fact it went from 7% GCSEs to much higher does explain some of the reasons this probably went unnoticed.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:50 pm

Towards the end of a long and damning article about the Trojan affair, there's this comment - confirming what I've seen elsewhere
I understand the DfE also wants to wind up the Bridge Schools Inspectorate, established by Labour in 2008, which in effect has allowed private Muslim and Christian faith schools to be self-policing.
http://www.standpointmag.co.uk/node/5696/full
It also has a strange comment about Tahir Alam, presumed to be a BSI inspector
The man named in the Trojan Horse letter as the prime mover behind the plan was the chairman of the Park View Educational Trust, Tahir Alam, a former BT engineer turned educational activist and governor of six schools, well known for his energetic promotion of Islamic education. He was also an Ofsted inspector.
Nowhere does it say that he has any qualifications as an educator. Still, if Govian principles favour unqualified teachers, why not unqualified inspectors too?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 pm

Tahir Alum has, as far as I can gather, inspected for at least one of the companies Ofsted was outsourced to. Which inspected state schools. He has also, as far as I can make out, run courses via AMS for school governors. Whether for AMS schools or general secular state ones I do not know. Or most worrying for both! To train potential state, secular school governors FOR AMS, i.e. To train with AMS goals.

I know that some state Islamic schools are under the umbrella of AMS. Something none of the CST schools have managed. Tho they had a try when they attempted to get Grindon Hall onto their books after it had attained free school status. I guess that is because most existing state faith schools are of the CofE/RC flavour and pre date Sobbing Sylv and her looney tunes peers by a lot of years (not extreme enough for her according to her 'thesis'). Whereas the Islamic state schools do not pre date AMS at all.

He has definitely inspected for BSI in the midlands.

Not sure what to make of the article as the whole thing has turned into a political football for everyone with an agenda. So the whole thing is a minefield of claim and counter claim. However as it's the first one I've read that has actually given an accurate assessment of existing state faith schools, including Islamic ones (hallelujah, send it to BHA, Dawkins and Polly Toynbee quick) I'm putting more faith in it than anything else I've read and hope it's right about BSI!

Given that the DfE review of independent school inspections was keen on a measure of independence from the schools they were inspecting, removal of AMS from the BSI equation would leave CST in a very awkward position. Small number of schools inspected by small number of people with a very obvious interest.

Of course this still leaves the issue that CST is not that different to AMS. There isn't the 'kill the infidels' angle. Nor the risk of foreign wars but the homophobia and lies about science are pretty much identical.

I hope the very real problems of radicalisation do not mean the Christian extremists of CST get away Scott free in all of this! If BSI goes CST should also be looked at very closely!!
cathy

Re:

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:13 pm

I don't plan on catching this on iplayer, but others might wish to (perhaps Ken Ham will be watching as he prepares for next week's big do in West Bromwich):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gn464
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:21 pm

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, and only on in midlands but looks interesting.

A programme about Trojan horse

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, and only on in midlands but looks interesting.

A programme about Trojan horse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ay-special
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:28 pm

Had a quick glance. It was a studio discussion about recent events in Birmingham (and nothing about slick speakers currently active in West Bromwich):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gn464
It will probably interest other forum participants, eg those who work in education today, more than myself.
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:57 pm

From today's TES. Not had chance to read yet but looks interesting
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6446902
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

As a science teacher, it is not my purpose to determine or change a student’s personal beliefs but to teach them how to use logic and evidence to answer questions.
Sorry, Seth Robey, but if it was Frank Harper's job to teach me that the phlogiston theory was wrong, it's your job to teach American children that young earth creationism is wrong. Get used to it.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:29 am

Yep now I've had a chance to read it I'm appalled. YEC is wrong. It's nor even as if you're having to correct an opinion or prejudice that is morally wrong like racism or sexism. It is even easier than that cos YECism is just factually wrong. There us of course a moral issue in diplomatically pointing out YECers are liars but the evolution/creationist argument has no delicate issues at all, wrong wrong wrong. No controversies.

Appalled this article is there. Dangerous territory.

Haven't had chance to look at the resources.
cathy

Postby cathy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:18 pm

If any members are left this looked interesting. Shadow education secretary says Ofsted will inspect RE in faith schools if labour get in. Sadly not much hope of that. Course there are the usual rabid anti faith schools mob who seem to no zero f@@@ about the education system commenting like mad.

Not yet sure what UKIP will do and fear their chances of having a say are depressingly high.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... mentpage=1
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:19 pm

Girdon Hall continues to get kicked...
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ors-ofsted

The Durham free-school also perishes. Having a religious-ethos does not exempt you from not knowing how to run an educational institution!
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ding-close
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby cathy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:44 am

Have all the old guard creationists given up? Or have they gone underground?

CST looks fairly moribund as does BSI. But the teacher training wing still seems to be going strong. Led by David Freeman
http://www.highlightonline.org/

No obvious signs of creationism apart from the one mention of world views here
http://www.highlightonline.org/keys-for ... ng-wisdom/

CST are still plodding along with nothing in their newsletters about BSI and whether it's still going.

Highlight seems to have the support of something called the National Society. Looks to be a CofE thing.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:17 pm

cathy wrote:Have all the old guard creationists given up? Or have they gone underground?

They are dying off, out of touch with public opinion and increasingly ignored. Their fatal death blow was the Dover Trial in 2005 - now a decade ago.

The fundamentalists (in the USA and elsewhere) have also lost the battle on gay marriage despite the noise they continue to make in the USA.

Part of their problem is that their natural constituency is literally dying. Young people, typically better educated than their parents or grandparents, now rarely accept dogmatic religion and, in any event, the fundamentalists have lost control over information. They might have, in the past, been able to "shield" their off-springs from science through home schooling and dodgy fundamentalist "universities" such as the BJU but Internet gives access to modern science to everyone.

Moreover, the US fundies were always on a sticky wicket politically - Americans do not like the idea of theocracies and the fundies have turned many (especially the young) off of their ultra-conservative causes and the Republican Party.

Have you also noticed that the leading "creation scientists" ten years ago are the same bunch we have now and are still, without exception, complete non-entities in the world of science?

I wonder why! (giggles)
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Previous

Return to News and Links