Islamic take-over of schools plot?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Re: Islamic take-over of schools plot?

Postby cathy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

First arrests?
wwww.theguardian.com/uk-news /2014/apr/17/police-arrest-teaching-assistants-trojan-horse-school-takeover/Birmingham

Looks like four teaching assistants tried to get the Muslim head sacked because according to the Trojan horse letter she was NOT a good Muslim and not open to suggestions for more hard line Islamic regime. From there looks really confused. Tried to get her sacked by writing resignation letters then claiming they were forged.

Not the brightest. Odd little stories coming out from this. Hoax or not?
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:33 am

Your url doesn't seem quite right Cathy: I think a / near the end should be a -
I found it at http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/17/police-arrest-teaching-assistants-trojan-horse-school-takeover-birmingham
I'd wondered from the outset how someone could lose their job due to someone forging their names on resignation letters - surely it would be spotted and rejected in an instant. Now it seems it's a sort of double-bluff - what a stupid plot. Or something - it is rather confusing as you say.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Islamic take-over of schools plot?n

Postby cathy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Sadly it has set off a whole raft of unexpected consequences, or maybe not.

There is the racist element out in force on all the blogs and of course the rants against Birmingham council for political correctness due to a bit of disingenuous reporting on behalf of the torygraph about them doing nothing. Which of course is due to the fact the schools are academies. Hence not only is Birmingham City council not obliged or even able to investigate but academy status self governance made the whole thing possible.

Still not sure if the overall thing was an elaborate hoax to highlight real issues or not. Ofsted has closed the park view school latest update which it does from time to time. You can read the 2012 one when the real head WAS in charge and see it was outstanding. Meaning a very good place to hatch a plot a unlikely to have been investigated for years if this hadn't kicked off.

Safe to say it has now come under bcse remit as well.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Well, I'd guess that a group of disgruntled people knowing/imagining what was going on felt that they had no alternative to a bit of fictitious stirring. Since where the LEA could do nothing, Gove would neither see nor hear any evil of his pet project. IIRC though, the Torygraph did say that not all the schools were academies - we'll have to wait and see whether a few LEA schools have not just been accused but found to be involved, I suppose.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 am

The plot actually thickens quite a lot. Park View Educational Trust (another of Goves whacky ideas, academy trusts running lots of schools) or more specifically Park View School is now receiving hate mail of the racist variety following the Torygraph's leaking of parts of the alleged Ofsted/DfE reports.

I daren't copy and paste over leaked documents lest it gets BCSE into trouble but they are there in the telegraph.

The first bits on Nansen Primary are not specifically linked to an Islamic plot, more to any failing school. Best practises on safe recruitment not being followed. No SENCO etc. All things the old schools had to have in place by law but I'm not sure academies do. Tellingly the only references on file were from the Park View Ed Trust. But to be honest all concerns are just a poor school, not an Islamic one. However I would guess the failings are in part dues to an attempt to make the school more conservatively Islamic.

Education and curriculum not broad and balanced, setting though out, not uncommon, with little art, music or humanities or phse! NO clubs beyond maths and English. Again how much is Islamic or how much a result of league table based on maths and English.

Segregation noticed at Park View and Golden Hillock. But some lessons mixed. PE segregated but that is the norm most places. More alarmingly there was segregation for PHSE and RE. PHSE possibly when teaching some subjects that might embarrass like the menstrual cycle though I've never seen it. But RE? When asked was segregation always there evasive answers. Which is suspicious.

The real killer though! SOW for biology, PHSE and SRE had been restricted to comply with CONSERVATIVE Islamic teaching. The standard Christian loony way of teaching evolution has been adopted!!!!! That is the teacher teaches it whilst making clear it is for the syllabus only and did say this is not what we believe. Reproduction was not covered in class, students were told to read the book at home!! Students openly admit they are not allowed to study subjects like reproduction with the opposite sex.

The part marked Official Sensitive though is next.

RE compulsory which is not unusual. Edexcel spec units 4 and 11 studied. I checked that spec and units 4 and 11 are Islam. The normal RE for any non faith school is a unit on Christianity plus one or two other major world faiths chosen to reflect the make up of the school. Two units on one religion is usually the preserve of faith schools and even many of those will opt for one other major faith. Christians are allowed to self study one of the Christian units. I would have thought two faiths should have been studied myself. Given it is not an Islamic school. My daughter at an RC school studied Catholicism (two units) and Islam (one unit). The others at non RC studied Christianity, Islam and Hinduism to cover the make up of the school.

The other killer was the fact that senior staff and governors had specifically banned staff from discussing any matters pertaining to sexual orientation and intimacy!!! SOWs had to be changed to comply!! Resources used had to be restricted!! This effected art, English, RE, PHSE. Ban also effected teaching of SRE honestly. Effected aspects of bullying and safeguarding children as well. And is in breach of Sec of State guidance that teachers should be able to deal sensitively with sexual orientation. I am so angry.

Unclear staffing policies across all three academies in the trust. All have acting headteachers which is weird. No timetables to interview and fill the posts permanently which is really, really odd!! The one and only aspect that does look like an actual plot rather than Islamic ideals being forced by governors. Also at Nansen lots of SLT posts are acting posts.

I've just skimmed through. There isn't enough yet to make any judgements other than the schools are failing in their duties completely and not doing what they should as state schools. Though the leaked details refer to academies from an academies trust.

Unlike previous incidences of creationism uncovered by BCSE this is more widespread and not just with the connivance of the management teams, but under their orders.

However these are leaked documents and this is the Torygraph. So on what I've seen I'm appalled BUT only if they are real and not selectively published out of context.

What is really annoying me is the UNDER reporting of the fact that Muslim parents have also complained. They do not really want a conservative Islamic education for their children. Like all parents they want their children to get on in the real world and earn money and have happy relationships not die in Syria. If they did there are Islamic schools in Brum. Perhaps that would ruin a good story. Moderate Muslims, like moderate Christians and Catholics do not good stories make.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:11 pm

Newsnight (I only caught snatches) seems to have uncovered creationism being taught in science classes in Birmingham schools. Enough to get Andrew Copson from the BHA discussing it along with a chap from (I think) the Muslim Council of Britain. The latter seeming to blame it on the LEA for letting them get away with it.
No doubt the media will be awash with it in the morning - so eyes peeled!
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am

Brian, there is an article in the Guardian about confusion over accountability since Gove's wonderful academies ideas. Unfortunately not widely reported elsewhere since bashing Birmingham City a Council seems to be a favoured sport these days. Though the councils leader has asked for joint enquiries. But this is the inevitable result of Gove's policy. Make people accountable for themselves and they'll do what they want. I'm sure elsewhere financial irregularities are rife. But nobody no longer has a clue who is responsible. Tell you that from experience of working in academy tho nothing like this obviously.

The list of alleged schools is in yesterday's Daily Mail so who knows if it is accurate or not. However one school did leap out as a complete surprise and that was Ninestiles in Acocks Green, very recently rated outstanding and had gone to some kind of semi selective thing. Not quite a grammar school by any stretch but had been allowed to take in a tiny percentage selectively a few years ago. Though might have dropped that by now. It is also the leader of the Ninestiles Academy Trust so combined with a lot of other schools. Mainly primaries a lot of which were forced academies and which had to combine under trusts cos no way could they afford to be totally self financing without any kind of economies of scale clout etc. Which is what LEAs used to provide ha ha. If I remember it was fairly popular with lots of parents I knew whose offspring didn't quite make it into any of the five King Edward grammar state schools in brum.

That stood out because it is a more racially diverse area than the others which are more Mislim. But also because I think, but memory might be iffy, last year a Muslim teacher complained that there had been bacon in the chicken baguette she'd taken from the pile labelled halal in the canteen. She was horrified that not only was it not halal but also it was pork and she'd taken the last one, meaning all the other Muslim children would have eaten same and were off to hell in a handcart.

If I remember the non Muslim head had apologised and by the time it was reported the teacher had left. That was just one of those stories you read at the time and think nothing of other than it stretching the tolerance function in your brain to breaking point and making you think 'offs grow up I'm sure Allah cares far more about flying planes into buildings than you chewing a bit of a rasher!!!' However this was last year some time so is dependent on my memory so don't take as gospel.

Anyway, thinking of it in retrospect my conspiracy neurons are buzzing. A failed attempt by a Muslim teacher to remove or discredit a non Muslim head. Up there with the dodgy teaching assistants letter attempts to discredit a not hard line enough head at Nansen?

I'd keep a weather eye on the CST as well. If this IS orchestrated by AMS, a big if, I can't imagine Sobbibg Sylv not watching closely for a piece of the action. Would be less of a story without the racism element so easier to get away with. But harder to do as less state schools predominantly Christian
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:46 am

The Newsnight discussion is on iPlayer now. From the beginning to about 13 minutes.
Creationism is only a small part of the discussion but you can hear the MCB spokesman Talhir Ahmad speaking out against it. He says that there is no place in 21st century Britain for teaching creationism, it is utterly unacceptable and the MCB is quite clear about it. From around 7min 45s to 8min15s.http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b041v7wg/Newsnight_24_04_2014/
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

Hmm far more serious was the rape in marriage allegation and the fact that though the school dealt with it the teacher is still teaching in a Park View school.

Though it is now acknowledged that the original thing was a hoax.

Overall perhaps a good thing to highlight these issues and stamp on them before they become to entrenched. And force the hand of the Muslim Council of Britian.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:00 pm

cathy wrote:Hmm far more serious was the rape in marriage allegation and the fact that though the school dealt with it the teacher is still teaching in a Park View school.
Andrew Copson seemed to be implying that the attitude was embodied in some work-sheets though. Maybe the BHA will release more details. Although it's outside our remit.
Though it is now acknowledged that the original thing was a hoax.
Although hoax isn't really the right word. I'm feeling a bit vocabulary-impaired at the moment: a hoax is done with intent to mislead. What's the equivalent with intent to lead?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:52 pm

All rather messy, but fairly clear that an evangelical religious clique, is attempting to impose their ideological vision on education regardless of what anyone else thinks (the parallels are too obvious to mention..). I have to say I feel a bit sorry for the council who probably found themselves in a damned if they did and didn't situation on the minority relations front.

As for the protective marking of the leaked document its the new protective marking scheme that has just come into force, suggesting the document itself pretty recent, which alleges to make life simpler and whose guidance documents seem to have an overweening interest in the threat posed by investigative journalists. I am more than a little cynical about its use in this case (though there are perfectly legitimate reasons why such a document might be so marked). Though to paraphrase someone of my acquaintance EMBARRASSING is not a protective marking!
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:17 pm

jon_12091 wrote:As for the protective marking of the leaked document its the new protective marking scheme that has just come into force, suggesting the document itself pretty recent,
I must have missed something. I take it that it's the leaked document that was redacted but I've never seen it. Was it done before or after it was leaked? More the the point, have you a link to it, please? Not to mention: what new protective censoring scheme? Have you a link to that, too, please?
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:07 pm

The following is a link to an article on the new classification system, links the cabinet office documents are in the reference list at the bottom:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classified ... ed_Kingdom

The marking is clearly visible at the top and bottom of the extracted document pages
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andre ... rs-report/
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:05 am

Thanks Jon - new territory to me and I'd missed the extract anyway!
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Previous

Return to News and Links