PZ Myers: Evolution of Creationism

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

PZ Myers: Evolution of Creationism

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm

An interesting talk about how the nuttery came about. Like Michael, he puts its real origin as quite recent - which is fitting,I suppose. :) He ascribes it in the main to 7-th Day Adventists . it started with their "prophetess", apparently!
He's a good lecturer, but you may need coffee - it lasts well over an hour.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creationism/the-evolution-of-creationism-t40248.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: PZ Myers: Evolution of Creationism

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:An interesting talk about how the nuttery came about. Like Michael, he puts its real origin as quite recent - which is fitting,I suppose. :) He ascribes it in the main to 7-th Day Adventists . it started with their "prophetess", apparently!
He's a good lecturer, but you may need coffee - it lasts well over an hour.
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creationism/the-evolution-of-creationism-t40248.html

It's a very god summary but the warning is that the creationists have got more and more extreme over time. If you look at his estimate of the incomes of the various creationist organisations, it now looks as if Answers in Genesis is the out and out winner, with revenues in excess of all of the other groups combined. AiG is as extreme as they get. PZ basically describers the Discovery Institute as a spent force, dismissing Stephen Meyer as a man who is "amazed at how clever Stephen Meyer is" - i.e. a dolt. What I didn't realise was that Origin of the Species is a step by step refutal of Paley's book on a watch.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links