New curriculum - evolution in primary - yipee

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

New curriculum - evolution in primary - yipee

Postby cathy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am

Looks like Gove has done one thing right, the new curriculum is apparently out
www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

Relevant paragraph here
Science will shift towards a stronger sense of hard facts and "scientific knowledge". In primary school, there will be new content on the solar system, speed and evolution. In secondary school, there will be a clearer sense of separate subjects of physics, biology and chemistry. Climate change will also be included.

Rest of it shows a bit of a lack of understanding of children and what they are capable of I'm afraid.
cathy

Re: New curriculum - evolution in primary - yipee

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:30 pm

cathy wrote:Looks like Gove has done one thing right, the new curriculum is apparently out
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23222068

Relevant paragraph here
Science will shift towards a stronger sense of hard facts and "scientific knowledge". In primary school, there will be new content on the solar system, speed and evolution. In secondary school, there will be a clearer sense of separate subjects of physics, biology and chemistry. Climate change will also be included.

Rest of it shows a bit of a lack of understanding of children and what they are capable of I'm afraid.
And a lot of a lack of his understanding of his own deforms. By the time it comes in, most schools will be "academies" and free of his own curriculum. I heard him, or one of his acolytes, saying it didn't matter: parents would see it and want schools to follow it anyway. Pillock!
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:47 pm

deforms?
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:06 pm

deforms?
More descriptive than reforms when referring to anything gormless Gove does. As in free schools will deform education. Academies will deform education and so on.
cathy

Postby cathy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 pm

And a lot of a lack of his understanding of his own deforms. By the time it comes in, most schools will be "academies" and free of his own curriculum. I heard him, or one of his acolytes, saying it didn't matter: parents would see it and want schools to follow it anyway. Pillock!

Except what parents want and what is available to them are often quite different things. If they weren't, faith schools would have died a natural death years ago for example. And of course most primaries are being forced to become academies and may well just decide that LCD and HCM fractions and in depth literary analysis of Othello will be a little too much for your average five year old who really only wants to just eat dirt and run into walls. Don't remember doing anything like Gove is claiming we did when I was five, all I remember is the sandpit.

Plus of course the nice little state primary that will teach this national curriculum is going to be being starved even more of funds as they're diverted instead to the free as a bird to teach whatever drivel pops into the managers heads school.

And as there is a real mismatch between where places are actually needed and where the free schools are being opened it means the starved of funds state schools will be forced to close due to lack of pupils caused by a paucity of teachers, books, pencils, window etc whilst the free school remains open as can at least afford to keep the kids dry in winter. And other kids, in areas where nobody wants to open a school, will have to be taught on the roofs of overcrowded buildings. Presumably by pigeons who will be cheaper than teachers or TAs and will have brains small enough not to have votes of no confidence in gormless Gove. I wonder how long it will be before creationist schools creep in under the radar due to being the only ones prepared to go into those areas?

Free schools have nothing to do with choice because when asked the overwhelming majority of parents say a good local state school. Academies are now often failing but there is no real intervention unless they are reabsorbed into LEAs who are really, really p@@@@d off at having to pick up the pieces after being starved of cash for so long.

The idiot man has clearly never had to deal with the lower ability kids struggling to count let alone deal with fractions. I know of kids going into high schools that can barely read and count let alone do fractions. He really hasn't a clue and he really doesn't care. He's even received a vote of no confidence from the head teachers association. Yet Milliband does nothing and the press even less.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 am

cathy wrote:
deforms?
More descriptive than reforms when referring to anything gormless Gove does. As in free schools will deform education. Academies will deform education and so on.
As Cathy said. It always annoys me when politicians claim to have "reformed" something when they really mean "buggered about with to suit our latest brainless-wave". It not only devalues the word but is also crying wolf in advance of their occasional actual improvement.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links