Teaching evolution key to free school funding deal

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Teaching evolution key to free school funding deal

Postby ukantic » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:44 am

Failing to teach evolution by natural selection in science lessons could lead to new free schools losing their funding under government changes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20547195

I'm not sure if this article has been posted anywhere else on the forum, but I'm posting it here anyway as I think it is a good idea to keep the most relevant articles somewhere where they are readily accessible.
ukantic

Re: Teaching evolution key to free school funding deal

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am

Be warned

You can teach evolution accurately in a science lesson and then counter it by teaching ID and YEC possibly within science classes and then more strongly in RE and the school ethos
Michael

Postby cathy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm not sure if this article has been posted anywhere else on the forum,

I popped it onto the general bit on Friday. Not sure whether to be pleased that it'll upset creationists or take on board the difficulties of policing it when you've handed over the reins to creationist loons in the first place.

On balance the free school idea is soooo stoooopid that even creationists will be able to find ways around it unless the penalties are very harsh. Immediate withdrawal of funding and a requirement to pay back every single piece of state funding ever recieved is what I'd like to see. But won't.

You can teach evolution accurately in a science lesson and then counter it by teaching ID and YEC possibly within science classes and then more strongly in RE and the school ethos

Which remains the problem whenever you deliberately and without thinking hand over education to ideologically driven idiots and lunatics. :evil: :evil:
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Michael wrote:Be warned

As did Cowan, quite openly, at Bluecoat using the medium of their Christian Union (or some such school organisation).
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Michael wrote:Be warned

As did Cowan, quite openly, at Bluecoat using the medium of their Christian Union (or some such school organisation).

This is a problem as CUs at schools and univs have been taken over by creationists
Michael

Return to News and Links