Education debates - coming to Radio 4

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Education debates - coming to Radio 4

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:30 pm

A series of three programmes featuring John Humphrys on the future of education. 8pm Wednesdays starting this week on Radio 4.
1)What should be taught
2)How should we teach
3)Who should teach
The BBC blurb doesn't go into any details but a newspaper trailer says they'll be discussing "benefractors" who are pursuing their own agendas. I suppose that could come under 1) or 2) Estelle Morris is on programme 1 but she may well not remember the notorious creationist letter she was sent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m1721
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Education debates - coming to Radio 4

Postby Dagsannr » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Is this going to be another one of the BBC's 'fair' debates where everyone, no matter how extreme their view, gets an equal footing?

They do this all the time, constantly misrepresenting the strength of a position by confronting it with it's diametrically opposite stance - even if that stance has little or zero credibility in the appropriate fields. Just see the debates on creationism, homeopathy and so on.

In the real world, homeopaths get laughed at. In the BBC's world, they're a valid opposing view point.
There are 2 types of people in the world:

Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Dagsannr

Postby jon_12091 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I've heard the trail - seems to be academics, politicians and think-tank types.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Dagsannr wrote:Is this going to be another one of the BBC's 'fair' debates where everyone, no matter how extreme their view, gets an equal footing?

They do this all the time, constantly misrepresenting the strength of a position by confronting it with it's diametrically opposite stance - even if that stance has little or zero credibility in the appropriate fields. Just see the debates on creationism, homeopathy and so on.

In the real world, homeopaths get laughed at. In the BBC's world, they're a valid opposing view point.

It'll never changed. Impartiality is burned into the corporate ethos of the BBC from top to bottom. Yes, it allows nutters to have their say but the BBC is believed worldwide as a result. The alternative is Fox News or Rupert Murdoch's newspapers.

I'll defend the BBC on this one. It's a very precious organisation and a very great one at that.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links