Schools denying teenage girls cervical cancer jab on religio

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Schools denying teenage girls cervical cancer jab on religio

Postby ukantic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 am

Teenage girls are being denied a potentially lifesaving cervical cancer jab at school on religious grounds, according to an investigation by GP magazine.

Some schools in England have opted out of the vaccination programme because their pupils "follow strict Christian principles" and "do not practise sex outside marriage".

The investigation found that 24 schools were opting out, many on religious grounds, and most did not tell local GPs, where the girls could be offered the vaccine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... cancer-jab
ukantic

Re: Schools denying teenage girls cervical cancer jab on rel

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:52 am

Thats a disgrace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and what religious grounds exactly?? Isn't there something like contributory manslaughter these people can be done for?

That reminds me that when second child was in year 8 and we got the parental consent letter for the HPV vaccine, my christian friend who attends a creationist church was really worried about it, and came up with all sorts of medical objections from her 'friends' at church. Not religious ones necessarily she wouldn't have bought those. So there was a lot of scaremongering being spread amongst her church friends - all sorts of things from death through to later fertility problems. And when I told her what a load of old rubbish and did a bit of digging it was coming, via the Daily Mail, from the Christian Institute. I don't know whether they were behind all the scaremongering that went on (and is still going on) but the religious mafia were certainly utilising the mmr tactics!

Any chance that the schools doing it could be named and shamed?

As for the sex outside marriage - 99.5% of people will have sex outside of marriage AND I doubt very much the virus works on the principle that those with a wedding ring are immune :evil: Only takes one mistake with one partner.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:15 am

ukantic wrote:Teenage girls are being denied a potentially lifesaving cervical cancer jab at school on religious grounds, according to an investigation by GP magazine.

Some schools in England have opted out of the vaccination programme because their pupils "follow strict Christian principles" and "do not practise sex outside marriage".

The investigation found that 24 schools were opting out, many on religious grounds, and most did not tell local GPs, where the girls could be offered the vaccine.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/ ... cancer-jab

The purpose of schools is to teach children; it is not to decide what is "sound medical practice" for them.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:24 am

ukantic wrote:

Translated in English - we don't want girls to have sex outside of marriage when they grow up but it's OK for blokes to do it. The whole statement is wishful thinking.

The average age of marriage in the UK is 27. What do they expect people to do before that? Join the boy scouts and tie a knot in it?
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm

Translated in English - we don't want girls to have sex outside of marriage when they grow up but it's OK for blokes to do it.
Meaning the girls are going to at just as much risk!! Viruses are viruses after all. Stupid fundies!

Anyway even our most creationist, religious, CU running sixth formers don't stick to that no sex ruling.

Those schools should be named and shamed!
cathy

Postby ukantic » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:23 pm

If any one is interested, I once posted a transcript of a radio discussion on HPV. See:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25&p=68&hilit=Burrows#p68
ukantic

Postby cathy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:43 pm

ukantic that is the most apalling thing I think I have ever read in my life! I'm speechless I'm afraid. Let them get eaten alive from the inside by cancer for being naughty girls in Burrowsr opinion only :evil: Have they never seen anyone die of cancer? And a lying bitch, in every respect. what sort of warped morals do these people have!

Those people are just plain evil! And thats not a word I'd use very often at all. :evil: :evil: :evil:
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:59 pm

As the woman in the transcript says, they're claiming to know what nature "wants" whereas they're actually deciding what their god wants.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:As the woman in the transcript says, they're claiming to know what nature "wants" whereas they're actually deciding what their god wants.

Indeed. I can by infected by viruses by just breathing. What does she want - everyone to stop breathing?
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links