Eugenie Scott and creationists coming here

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Eugenie Scott and creationists coming here

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun May 29, 2011 11:00 pm

The date of this video is early next month, so I suppose it's the colonial system and it's already happened in February. Almost an hour long, so something for me to look forward to. Well, Ms Scott's wit; I doubt her message will be jolly.
Try to enjoy,
Why Evolution is Difficult: An American Perspective
Genie Scott explains to a British audience the genesis of the American anti-evolution movement, the rise of "creation science" and "intelligent design", and how they're spreading beyond American shores. Where: QED Conference, Manchester, Great Britain. When: 2/6/2011
http://richarddawkins.net/videos/631620-why-evolution-is-difficult-an-american-perspective
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: Eugenie Scott and creationists coming here

Postby psiloiordinary » Mon May 30, 2011 6:49 am

I had lunch with her that day - she is lovely in every sense.

Got some very useful advice too.

Talked her through things UK wise but too late to put it into her talk.
psiloiordinary

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm

Dunno why Dawkins is publicising this talk as I'm sure she's what would be regarded in some circles as an "accomodationist" from the NCSE.

Unless Dawkins has distanced himself somewhat from Coyne and Myers ?

Anyway, she also tells me she'll be in Glasgow sometime in the Autumn and would be quite willing to appear in Belfast if asked. I'll maybe try and e-mail Brian McClinton, secretary of the BHA and see what he thinks.
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Unless Dawkins has distanced himself somewhat from Coyne and Myers ?

It's difficult to know what Dawkins thinks. The comments after that from his regular fans seem to link him with Coyne and Myers and he definitely seemed to be on their side in the recent falling out. They also seemed to be counting him as an allie. But the God Delusion (which I didn't throw out but put in the pile of books to go to Oxfam, from whence it originally came-for £1.50) is still here. And in it he quotes and says he recommends Ken Millers book "Kenneth Miller...for my money the most persausive nemesis of ID, not least because he is a devout christian. I frequently recommend Miller's book, Finding Darwin's God to religious people who write to me having been bamboozled by Behe" (I'd started looking through GD again for stuff on ID) though Miller was being panned as an accomodationist by Coyne and accolytes in the ncse/bcse letter., Dawkins was making the point that Millers religion was a plus at Dover? Wish I'd looked at God Delusion more carefully at it when the gnus were attacking-you get a very different picture of accomodationism from it. Likewise he says there are good scientists who are sincerely religious eg Collins and though he doesn't agree with them there is none of the apparent vitriol expressed last month or whenever it was.

I'm not sure what to make of him anymore. He's written a recent article on his forum that is really, really odd, all over the place and on a superficial level-didn't seem overly female friendly. About jealousy and rising above it-including a rant about Ingrid Tarrant. A lot of the comments afterwards specifically said they were disappointed in him for writing it-though their was the usual uncritical support. It made me curious about what is going on in his personal life more than anything. Not that I'd suggest anything was.
cathy

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:19 pm

Don't forget . Dawkins' D.Phil was on chicks :twisted:
Michael

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 am

cathy wrote:I'm not sure what to make of him anymore. He's written a recent article on his forum that is really, really odd, all over the place and on a superficial level-didn't seem overly female friendly. About jealousy and rising above it-including a rant about Ingrid Tarrant. A lot of the comments afterwards specifically said they were disappointed in him for writing it-though their was the usual uncritical support. It made me curious about what is going on in his personal life more than anything. Not that I'd suggest anything was.

I can't find that article on Ingrid Tarrant. Do you have a URL?
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:46 am

Sorry thats cos it looks like its an ancient one that seems to have resurfaced. I only ever look at the comments occassioanally and look back at the articles if they look interesting (which is rarely). Looks like this one was in 2007 and someone then someone started commenting on it recently so assumed it was recent. Before the 2011 comment it was last commented on in 2009. Sorry take back what I said. Never look at the dates I just assume that recent comments refer to recent articles. Sorry :cry: should check more carefully. Still it was a weird article it was called something like banishing the green eyed monster on his forum, and I guess the responses he got may be why he didn't pursue it. Sorry again. Half term so brain in holiday slush mode.
cathy

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Incidently, who are the creationists that are coming here ?
Peter Henderson

Postby jon_12091 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:00 pm

'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:22 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Incidently, who are the creationists that are coming here ?
Sorry Peter, sloppy headline by me. Should have included ..."and how the" creationists "are"... I still haven't watched it, but I don't suppose she names names because they're all at it - even if they're not doing very well. I wonder if she mentions their helping Yarun HaHa?
Genie Scott explains to a British audience the genesis of the American anti-evolution movement, the rise of "creation science" and "intelligent design", and how they're spreading beyond American shores.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links