Christine O'Donnell Mark 2 ?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Christine O'Donnell Mark 2 ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:51 am

Noticed this on Jim Lippard's blog. Pamela Gorman's promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqnjzONr ... _embedded#!

Are all Americans nuts ?

Wonder if she's a YEC like O'Donnell ?
Peter Henderson

Re: Christine O'Donnell Mark 2 ?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Noticed this on Jim Lippard's blog. Pamela Gorman's promo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqnjzONr ... _embedded#!

Are all Americans nuts ?

No but a huge number are.

Some eight years back when I started (or, more realistically forced) to reconsider my position on the USA the matter came up in a conversation with one of my then business associates.

He'd been at a satellite conference in the States and was having a chat with a French pal of ours (satellite communications is a very cosmopolitan, international business). The Frenchman had just got really fed up with the whole US-centrism of the Americans there and basically lost his diplomatic cool. "Why are these people so utterly dum? How can people so stupid be the richest and most powerful nation on this planet....".

At the time I didn't take that much notice of the relayed despair. I "sure do" see his point now. Seems to me that the USA has already become a nation that screws up everything it touches (including, btw, capitalism). How on earth can one look the average American in the eye and take them seriously when you see the comments to the above YouTube clip? It's a staggering inward looking stew of anti-intellectualism, half-baked ideology, arrogance and incompetence. (Worse still, we've seen it all in the UK in its heyday. That was largely before my time, though.)

Methinks that over coming years, the Western World is going to have a lot of problems with the USA. It's backward looking, increasingly out of touch with reality, politically dysfunctional (ungovernable). living way, way beyond its means and deeply divided by an incomprehnsible culture war that may turn very nasty indeed. It would not surprise my that the USA breaks in two and, if that happens, we'll really have a problem. The "south" (satarised as the United States of Jesusland) will be a militaristic, extreme right wing, anti-intellectual paranoid Calvinistic theocracy which regards itself as being in a permenant state of war with the rest of the (non-believing infidel) world. It would be totally unstable.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:08 am

Roger

You cannot separate the South from the rest. Wherever you go you get a Range of cultures from extreme fundi to very liberal.

We spent this morning in a church in Winston Salem (Moravian)very liberal in outlook. Not far away are wacky fundies and probably in the hills some gun-toting ones.

America is simply far too variable to simplify like that.

PS I have never seen so many fatties

See what the election brings
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:52 am

Indeed Michael, likewise Norn Iron

Visted Florida some years ago and found exactly the same thing. A country of extremes !
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:25 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:

Indeed Michael, likewise Norn Iron

Visted Florida some years ago and found exactly the same thing. A country of extremes !

There was a really frightening TV programme on the box that has just finished. It's about the teabaggers and was fronted by Andrew Neil. The nutters interviewed were truely astonishing - Neil, of course, is a somewhat right wing character but even he couldn't hide the fact that American is heading for serious trouble with the teabaggers. It finished by suggestng that the Republican Party was falling nder the control of the teabaggers and they are aiming for the White House in 2012. The problem is that these people are paranoid demagogues.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:54 pm

Here's a bit more about the Gorman video along with an interview with the woman herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_t_APB ... re=related

They seem obsessed with taxes Roger.

But herein lieth the problem. If you want public services you have to pay for them, pure and simple (even in the U.K.). In the U.S the right wingers put into practice the policies and ideas of economist Milton Friedman, something Thatcher tried to do here in the 1980's. The idea was that as the rich got richer, the wealth would filter down and eventually reach the poor at the bottom. Therefore, without state contol everyone, including the poor would be better off. Unfortunately, like communism on the other end of the political spectrum, it just doesn't work that way in practise.

Still, they make our lot look positively sane (i.e. the DUP and Sinn Fein)
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Here's a bit more about the Gorman video along with an interview with the woman herself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx_t_APB ... re=related

They seem obsessed with taxes Roger.

But herein lieth the problem. If you want public services you have to pay for them, pure and simple (even in the U.K.). In the U.S the right wingers put into practice the policies and ideas of economist Milton Friedman, something Thatcher tried to do here in the 1980's. The idea was that as the rich got richer, the wealth would filter down and eventually reach the poor at the bottom. Therefore, without state contol everyone, including the poor would be better off. Unfortunately, like communism on the other end of the political spectrum, it just doesn't work that way in practise.

Still, they make our lot look positively sane (i.e. the DUP and Sinn Fein)

Yep, it's amazing the number of Americans who believe in vodoo economics such as supply side economics and trickle down economics. As an economist of sorts, I'd say no economist anywhere believes they are anything but crap.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Well according to radio 5 this morning the tea party were looking fondly towards to Cameron and his big society b@@@@@ks for ideas (new trickle down economics isn't it?). So we've had enough stupid people over here too-to put that lot back in power. How come Americans are so stupid? Has it been fundamenatalism and creationism?
cathy

Return to News and Links