Does Christine O'Donnell Think Dinosaur Bones Are Fake?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Does Christine O'Donnell Think Dinosaur Bones Are Fake?

Postby ukantic » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 am

Yesterday I noted that only one Republican running for a Senate seat this year believed in climate change. That was Delaware's Mike Castle, who got ousted in his state's primary last night by Christine O'Donnell. And what's O'Donnell's deal? Well, she doesn't believe in the greenhouse effect. But she also doesn't believe in evolution.

http://www.tnr.com/blog/the-vine/77707/ ... ting-bogus
ukantic

Re: Does Christine O'Donnell Think Dinosaur Bones Are Fake?

Postby Michael » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:21 pm

ukantic wrote:
Yesterday I noted that only one Republican running for a Senate seat this year believed in climate change. That was Delaware's Mike Castle, who got ousted in his state's primary last night by Christine O'Donnell. And what's O'Donnell's deal? Well, she doesn't believe in the greenhouse effect. But she also doesn't believe in evolution.

Silly woman
Michael

Re: Does Christine O'Donnell Think Dinosaur Bones Are Fake?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:31 pm

ukantic wrote:

The US wingnuts and teabaggers are byewords in stupidity. Take it for granted that O'Donnell is of very limited intellect and, as an American, is thus a creationist. Ed Brayton has shown her up to be a world class stupid creationist (see below). This is a person who may ned up in 2 years' time or so as preisdent of the USA:

O'Donnell the Young Earth Creationist
Posted on: September 16, 2010 11:35 AM, by Ed Brayton

New York magazine digs up statements by Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell, the Tea Party candidate that even has the Republican establishment in that state cringing. Turns out, unsurprisingly, that she's a young earth creationist as well -- and just as predictably, she spews utter nonsense when trying to defend her views.

These statements come from a 1996 interview on CNN, when O'Donnell was a spokesperson for the wingnut Concerned Women for America. She tried to debate about evolution and showed her total ignorance of the subject. Like the standard "just a theory, not a fact" nonsense so common to the scientifically illiterate:

CHRISTINE O'DONNELL, Concerned Women for America: Well, as the senator from Tennessee mentioned, evolution is a theory and it's exactly that. There is not enough evidence, consistent evidence to make it as fact, and I say that because for theory to become a fact, it needs to consistently have the same results after it goes through a series of tests. The tests that they put -- that they use to support evolution do not have consistent results. Now too many people are blindly accepting evolution as fact. But when you get down to the hard evidence, it's merely a theory.
Same old creationist stupidity. Theories do not become facts, theories explain facts. Theory is the highest level of certainty assigned to explanations in science, not a step up a ladder of certainty to some other designation. This is what I meant in my 2007 Netroots Nation speech about virulent ignorance -- it isn't just that O'Donnell doesn't know anything at all about the science of evolution, it's that she has memorized a laundry list of myths and falsehoods that take the place of scientific knowledge and make her think she knows what she's talking about when she doesn't.

CHRISTINE O'DONNELL: Now, he said that it's based on fact. I just want to point out a couple things. First of all, they use carbon dating, as an example, to prove that something was millions of years old. Well, we have the eruption of Mt. Saint Helens and the carbon dating test that they used then would have to then prove that these were hundreds of millions of years younger, when what happened was they had the exact same results on the fossils and canyons that they did the tests on that were supposedly 100 millions of years old. And it's the kind of inconsistent tests like this that they're basing their 'facts' on.
All completely nonsense. No scientist uses carbon dating to prove that anything was millions of years old because carbon dating can't possibly prove any such thing. Carbon dating is used only on certain types of organic material and it is only good out to maybe 50-100,000 years.

CHRISTINE O'DONNELL: Well, creationism, in essence, is believing that the world began as the Bible in Genesis says, that God created the Earth in six days, six 24-hour periods. And there is just as much, if not more, evidence supporting that.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links