More bad news for Texas ?

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

More bad news for Texas ?

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri May 07, 2010 9:22 pm

From The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 118715.ece

One result is a document due to be signed this month that will require Texas teenagers, for the first time, to study gaps in the fossil record and look for other ways to question whether natural selection can account for diversity in the world. If the past is any guide the new Texas “standards” will determine the content of science textbooks in up to 48 of the 50 states for the next decade — in which case, as one despairing secularist put it, publishers will have “bowed at the altar of junk science simply to sell a book”.
Peter Henderson

Re: More bad news for Texas ?

Postby Michael » Fri May 07, 2010 9:58 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:From The Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 118715.ece

One result is a document due to be signed this month that will require Texas teenagers, for the first time, to study gaps in the fossil record and look for other ways to question whether natural selection can account for diversity in the world. If the past is any guide the new Texas “standards” will determine the content of science textbooks in up to 48 of the 50 states for the next decade — in which case, as one despairing secularist put it, publishers will have “bowed at the altar of junk science simply to sell a book”.

Several mistakes on science here e.g. on carbon dating.

Might send a reply
Michael

Postby Michael » Fri May 07, 2010 9:59 pm

How can you study gaps, as that will be where there is nothing:)
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Michael wrote:How can you study gaps, as that will be where there is nothing:)

Dr McLeroy demurs. “I love science.” When it comes to criticising Darwin, he says, “there is just a huge ideological resistance that I fail to understand”.

and that one could quite as easily have been written by Ploughboy !

I think it's called "critical thinking" or "thinking for yourself" rather than learning from approved science textbooks.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun May 09, 2010 1:55 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:
Michael wrote:How can you study gaps, as that will be where there is nothing:)

Dr McLeroy demurs. “I love science.” When it comes to criticising Darwin, he says, “there is just a huge ideological resistance that I fail to understand”.

and that one could quite as easily have been written by Ploughboy !

I think it's called "critical thinking" or "thinking for yourself" rather than learning from approved science textbooks.

The organisation that is doing very good work in combating this is the Texas Freedom Network. It's well worth a visit to its web site as it gives a very good understanding of what is going on amongst the fundamentalist religious right.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links