Who to vote for

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Who to vote for

Postby Paul Braterman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 pm

A personal view, with which as an individual I happen to agree (as a committee member, I have no opinion):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 010-labour

Who should a scientist vote for?
Adam Rutherford, Guardian, 6 Apr 2010:

"Science has fared OK under Labour, especially compared with the evisceration it suffered under Thatcher. Investment has gone up above inflation. Last week, the UK Space Agency and a £250m boost to a proposed world-class medical research facility in London were announced. They pushed through bills that protected stem cell research and abortion rights for women. In Lord Drayson, the government has a science minister who is reactive and engaging, and tweeted this week that their science policy is forthcoming.

His Conservative shadow Adam Afriyie is clear that policy on science funding will be deep cuts, precisely the wrong thing to do in a recession. That's fortunate for me, as the day I vote Tory, Satan will need ice cleats.

As for the Liberal Democrats, for science they hold the trump card: Evan Harris. Apart from being liberal, rational and principled, he understands science and its import. Harris has played key roles in pursuing rational and pro-science policy across the board, from relatively trivial (such as removing alternative medicines from the same regulation as the more demonstrably useful y'know, mediciney medicine) to the embarrassingly necessary (reform of our shameful libel laws). Barack Obama recognised that science underpins economies, and that cuts are not inevitable during recession. Through Evan Harris, the Lib Dems have so far made the clearest statements on ensuring science is at the heart of governance and education."
Paul Braterman
Paul Braterman

Re: Who to vote for

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Paul Braterman wrote:A personal view, with which as an individual I happen to agree (as a committee member, I have no opinion):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 010-labour

Who should a scientist vote for?

Evan Harris is being supported by Richard Dawkins, btw. Harris is standing in the Oxford and Abingdon constituency, IIRC.

I must admit that I don't have the choice that some have elsewhere in the UK. In my local constituency it's basically a two horse race between the Tories and the Lib Dems and, from past experience, many will be voting tactically. Labour don't have a cat in hell's chance here. Unfortunately Winchester is not a "science" town. Its university does not teach the natural sciences (or geology or engineering, btw) and the local outpost of the University of Southampton is an art college.

One question I do want to raise with the Tory candidate is about Christians in Parliament which has connections to "The Family" in the USA. I'm deeply suspicious of Christians in Parliament and suspect that it has an undeclared right wing agenda and has been used by creationists such as Andy McIntosh.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:20 pm

If you are a creationist then the choice is obvious
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 pm

Is the Rev. George Hargreaves a YEC ?
Peter Henderson

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Is the Rev. George Hargreaves a YEC ?

Yes - over 99% certain
Michael

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:07 pm

He's Pariamentary candidate for Barking which just about sums him up.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:09 pm

Michael wrote:

Yes - over 99% certain

Is he an Anglican Michael ?
Peter Henderson

Return to News and Links