School's sacking of Christian science teacher divides town i

Postby ukantic » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:34 am

School's sacking of Christian science teacher divides town in Bible belt

A class experiment has left a deep mark in a strongly religious community

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/fe ... ce-teacher
ukantic

Re: School's sacking of Christian science teacher divides to

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 pm

ukantic wrote:School's sacking of Christian science teacher divides town in Bible belt

A class experiment has left a deep mark in a strongly religious community

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/fe ... ce-teacher

It's a rather sad example of just how backward rural and small town America is. It's another Dayton TN still stuck in the 1920s.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:11 am

The sad thing is Roger, is that the evangelical church (i.e. every evevangelical denomination) in the UK has aligned itself with this nonsense. You'll witness this at the screening of expelled in a couple of weeks if you manage to get along. I've encountered the same arguments and claims on Premier's forum. Those evangelical Christians who accept science are very much a small minority in evangelical circles now.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:36 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:The sad thing is Roger, is that the evangelical church (i.e. every evevangelical denomination) in the UK has aligned itself with this nonsense. You'll witness this at the screening of expelled in a couple of weeks if you manage to get along. I've encountered the same arguments and claims on Premier's forum. Those evangelical Christians who accept science are very much a small minority in evangelical circles now.

What is also worrying me is the extent to which such fundamentalism is becoming politicised in the UK. The Financial Times magazine had a rather long article on the issue in its latest edition. Basically the fundamentalists look to be gaining influence in the Conservative Party and it accounts for the Tory proposals for tax relief of married couples and reduction to 20 weeks for time allowed for abortions. What next?
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links