Transfer from the Richard Dawkins Website

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Transfer from the Richard Dawkins Website

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:51 am

It looks as if the web site of Richard Dawkins is suffering some serious problems. It was steadily collpasing on Sunday and has, in effect, been closed down ever since. According to what remains online, it is experiencing some technical difficulties but given that it has now been down for days and there is no indication when it will be up and running, the problem looks to be fairly serious.

So, if anyone wants to temporarily transfer debates about creationism or Intelligence Design (or anything about the fundamentalists) to this, the BCSE community forum, please feel free.

We also have a little used section about religion in general.
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Chris Sergeant » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 pm

This one seems to be working as usual.
http://richarddawkins.net/cat1_Reason,cat2_In-the-News
I can access it quicker than it takes to produce the Grand Canyon.
Chris Sergeant
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:26 pm

Re: Transfer from the Richard Dawkins Website

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:20 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:It looks as if the web site of Richard Dawkins is suffering some serious problems. It was steadily collpasing on Sunday and has, in effect, been closed down ever since.
It seems to be mostly back in action again. It was mainly the forum that was out of action and they spoke of speeding up the database. The forum is so large now that it wouldn't be surprising if they needed to upgrade something. Of course, it could be that all the creationist kiddies on their summer camps are having lessons in DDOS attacks, but that would be a wicked, unworthy sort of thing to think. Just the sort of thought that would get PZ and his young friends thrown out of Ham's Menagerie. :lol:
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 pm

Chris Sergeant wrote:This one seems to be working as usual.
http://richarddawkins.net/cat1_Reason,cat2_In-the-News
I can access it quicker than it takes to produce the Grand Canyon.


Thanks. I checked this evening and the main community forums (but not the big forum on the "front" page) are back online. They were down yesterday, IIRC.
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:44 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Chris Sergeant wrote:This one seems to be working as usual.
http://richarddawkins.net/cat1_Reason,cat2_In-the-News
I can access it quicker than it takes to produce the Grand Canyon.


Thanks. I checked this evening and the main community forums (but not the big forum on the "front" page) are back online. They were down yesterday, IIRC.


The main forum wasl still down this morning.
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: Transfer from the Richard Dawkins Website

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:22 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
Roger Stanyard wrote:It looks as if the web site of Richard Dawkins is suffering some serious problems. It was steadily collpasing on Sunday and has, in effect, been closed down ever since.
It seems to be mostly back in action again. It was mainly the forum that was out of action and they spoke of speeding up the database. The forum is so large now that it wouldn't be surprising if they needed to upgrade something. Of course, it could be that all the creationist kiddies on their summer camps are having lessons in DDOS attacks, but that would be a wicked, unworthy sort of thing to think. Just the sort of thought that would get PZ and his young friends thrown out of Ham's Menagerie. :lol:


Well it looks as if the main public forum has now closed completly. It's been down for the best part of two weeks and the statement saying it is being fixed has been pulled.
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:03 am

There must be something wrong at your end, Roger - both these are working for me, tonight:
http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=46 and
http://richarddawkins.net/
Admittedly, I can't see any discussion on the front page, but I've never quite understood how it relates to the forum or how discussion of front-page articles used to be accessed. Single articles though still have working discussions, eg
http://richarddawkins.net/article,4109, ... sh-Timonen
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:There must be something wrong at your end, Roger - both these are working for me, tonight:
http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=46 and
http://richarddawkins.net/
Admittedly, I can't see any discussion on the front page, but I've never quite understood how it relates to the forum or how discussion of front-page articles used to be accessed. Single articles though still have working discussions, eg
http://richarddawkins.net/article,4109, ... sh-Timonen


The first URL you give does work. It's the second, for the front page, that's the problem. The main public forum that used to be thereon is still not there after nearly 2 weeks.
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6162
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm


Return to News and Links

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron