Things are bad in Canada

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

Things are bad in Canada

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 am

Canadian science minister a suspected YEC ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... itics/home

OTTAWA — Science minister Gary Goodyear now says he believes in evolution.

“Of course I do,” he told guest host Jane Taber during an appearance on the CTV program Power Play. “But it is an irrelevant question.”

That's a different answer from the one Mr. Goodyear, a chiropractor and minister of state for science and technology, gave The Globe and Mail when asked the same thing during an interview published in Tuesday's paper.

“I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate,” he said at the time.

“I do believe that just because you can't see it under a microscope doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It could mean we don't have a powerful enough microscope yet. So I'm not fussy on this business that we already know everything.… I think we need to recognize that we don't know.”

Evoking religion in response to a question about evolution drew heavy criticism from people like Brian Alters, an expert in evolution at McGill University in Montreal, and Jim Turk, executive director of the Canadian Association of University Teachers.

On Tuesday, Mr. Goodyear said twice during the CTV interview that he did believe in evolution.

“We are evolving every year, every decade. That's a fact, whether it is to the intensity of the sun, whether it is to, as a chiropractor, walking on cement versus anything else, whether it is running shoes or high heels, of course we are evolving to our environment. But that's not relevant and that is why I refused to answer the question. The interview was about our science and tech strategy, which is strong.”

Though I suspect that what Mr. Goodyear is talking about is that he accepts "variation within a kind" or "speciatian" which is not evolution. What he should have been asked was how old he thought the Earth/Universe was, a dead giveaway for suspected YECs.

More from the Toronto Sun along with some interesting TV footage:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnis ... 1-sun.html
Peter Henderson

Re: Things are bad in Canada

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Canadian science minister a suspected YEC ?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... itics/home

OTTAWA — Science minister Gary Goodyear now says he believes in evolution.

“Of course I do,” he told guest host Jane Taber during an appearance on the CTV program Power Play. “But it is an irrelevant question.”

That's a different answer from the one Mr. Goodyear, a chiropractor and minister of state for science and technology, gave The Globe and Mail when asked the same thing during an interview published in Tuesday's paper.

“I'm not going to answer that question. I am a Christian, and I don't think anybody asking a question about my religion is appropriate,” he said at the time.

“I do believe that just because you can't see it under a microscope doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It could mean we don't have a powerful enough microscope yet. So I'm not fussy on this business that we already know everything.… I think we need to recognize that we don't know.”

Evoking religion in response to a question about evolution drew heavy criticism from people like Brian Alters, an expert in evolution at McGill University in Montreal, and Jim Turk, executive director of the Canadian Association of University Teachers.

On Tuesday, Mr. Goodyear said twice during the CTV interview that he did believe in evolution.

“We are evolving every year, every decade. That's a fact, whether it is to the intensity of the sun, whether it is to, as a chiropractor, walking on cement versus anything else, whether it is running shoes or high heels, of course we are evolving to our environment. But that's not relevant and that is why I refused to answer the question. The interview was about our science and tech strategy, which is strong.”

Though I suspect that what Mr. Goodyear is talking about is that he accepts "variation within a kind" or "speciatian" which is not evolution. What he should have been asked was how old he thought the Earth/Universe was, a dead giveaway for suspected YECs.

More from the Toronto Sun along with some interesting TV footage:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/columnis ... 1-sun.html

Agreed. Ken Scam is pulling a fast one on this at his crapola museum in Kentucky, claimimg that he and his fellow nutters actually believe in evolution. Of course they don't - what they are pushing is the fabrication of evolution within a kind. IIRC that's the fraud the Marc Surtees is pushing. The fundies never give up in their attempts to deceive and play with smoke and mirrors.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links