The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom

Current News and Links of interest

Moderator: News Editors

The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Quite a long article from Scientific American but should be worth a read:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the ... reationism

Creationists continue to agitate against the teaching of evolution in public schools, adapting their tactics to match the roadblocks they encounter.
Past strategies have included portraying creationism as a credible alternative to
evolution and disguising it under the name “intelligent design.”
Other tactics misrepresent evolution as scientifically controversial and pretend that advocates for teaching creationism are defending academic freedom.
Peter Henderson

Re: The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:07 am

Peter Henderson wrote:Quite a long article from Scientific American but should be worth a read:

Creationists continue to agitate against the teaching of evolution in public schools, adapting their tactics to match the roadblocks they encounter.
Past strategies have included portraying creationism as a credible alternative to
Other tactics misrepresent evolution as scientifically controversial and pretend that advocates for teaching creationism are defending academic freedom.

Scientific American has done a splendid job but, alas, it's preaching to the converted. What really worries me is the continued attack on mainstream science in the popular press. The fundies are suceeding in sowing doubts about evolutionary theory. It's astonishing to see journalists like Brian Appleyard falling hook line and sinker for creationist crapola. He isn't, it appears, even aware of if.

It's easy done. Appleyard, for example, has no science background whatsoever. He has a first degree in English. In my viiew he doesn't have the ability to see when he is being fed a porky about science (or history) from the ID/Creationist brigade.

Um, one minor ocmment - The sole copy of Steve Fuller's self serving justification of his failure in the Dover trial remains resolutely stuck on the shelves of my local Waterstones book shop. It's been there since the summer.

Fuller, I guess, has been worried that he has seriously damaged his credibility over the Dover affair and the book is an act of desperation. For what it is worth it is turgid nonsense - a cross between semi-academic post-modernism and "popular" pseudo-science.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:23 am

Peter Henderson wrote:Quite a long article from Scientific American but should be worth a read:

One important point the SA article concludes upon is that creationism is a political issue. Hear, hear!
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:21 pm

Scientific American has done a splendid job but, alas, it's preaching to the converted. What really worries me is the continued attack on mainstream science in the popular press. The fundies are suceeding in sowing doubts about evolutionary theory. It's astonishing to see journalists like Brian Appleyard falling hook line and sinker for creationist crapola. He isn't, it appears, even aware of if.

It's easy done. Appleyard, for example, has no science background whatsoever. He has a first degree in English. In my viiew he doesn't have the ability to see when he is being fed a porky about science (or history) from the ID/Creationist brigade.

I think in this case Roger, it's important to highlight some of the YECs more whacky ideas e.g. dinosaurs co-existing with humans a mere few thousand years ago (just like in the flintstones). I think if more people were aware of these ideas (even those who aren't from a science background) they probably wouldn't write such nonsense.

By the way Roger, The Premier Radio forum gets more whacky by the day. There appear to be a large number of evangelical Christians (not just in NI but the mainland too) who are completely anti-science. Surely church leaders (e.g. the Evangelical Alliance, or even Premier Radio themselves) should be aware that this is a very dangerous situation for the church to be in ? Even Gary Hurd hasn't broken any delph with them. They simply ignore any scientific evidence for either the age of the Earth or evolution and just keep on repeating the same creationist claims.

It just shows the influence groups like AiG and CMI are having on the church. Why the church has stood by and let this situation arise is beyond me :evil: :evil:

Sibley took the hump and cleared off (apparently he reads the BCSE forum). Some of his comments did display a real lack of knowledge, especially on subjects such as the age of the Earth.
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:55 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:

Sibley took the hump and cleared off (apparently he reads the BCSE forum). Some of his comments did display a real lack of knowledge, especially on subjects such as the age of the Earth.

Does that surpise you Peter?

I've been looking at the Premier Radio thread o creationism on and off for a few weeks. The cretinists all pushing the same old tired canards and sleight of hand rhetoric. There's nothing original that any of them have to say. The arrogance is also stunning.

I think you are right in saying that they are doing immense damage to religion. Time and time again, they claim that you can't be a Christian unless you are a YECer. Well, in the USA the fundies can get away with that but in the UK religious belief is dying and the more the YECers lie and deceive, the quicker the death.

I foresee that in a few years time what's left of organised religion will largely be in the hands of a clique of YECers with the rest of the country despising religion for that reason. It's already getting to the position that religious belief is equated by much of the public with bigotry and stupidity.

Indeed, that's happening on a smaller scale (precentage wise) in the USA. It's a self-inflicted wound by the religious right. It's also guaranteed to kill off religious education and religious services in schools (both are dying anyway). I'm not convinced that's entirely a good thing given that for 350 years the CofE has protected the English (at least) from religious extremism (religious fanatiqs as Aubry described them in the 18th century).

As for the USA, the religious right has severly reduce America's status in the eyes of the rest of the world. Nowadays I am exceedingly careful in my handling of Americans because so many of them are devious religious bigots.

Indeed, a quick way to get rid of a pain-in-the-bum American is to say your an atheist - voom, their gone in seconds, never to be seen or heard of again.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:58 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:By the way Roger, The Premier Radio forum gets more whacky by the day. There appear to be a large number of evangelical Christians (not just in NI but the mainland too) who are completely anti-science. Surely church leaders (e.g. the Evangelical Alliance, or even Premier Radio themselves) should be aware that this is a very dangerous situation for the church to be in ? Even Gary Hurd hasn't broken any delph with them. They simply ignore any scientific evidence for either the age of the Earth or evolution and just keep on repeating the same creationist claims.

It would certainly liven up the BCSE forum if you could get some of the nutters there to started posting on it.

We could then pull their creation "science" to pieces in as much excrutiating detail as they could possibly ever come across! As Lenny Flank says - all free of charge as well.

It's some time since we had any nutters posting in our forum although, from time to time we get the odd email from them (Sibley included). We had one from the University of St Andrews calling us everything under the sun and them screaming that she doesn't want a reply. There was another nutter some months back who threatned to expose us world-wide on television and radio but didn't know what he was going to expose us for.

The irony was that we received the threat for calling the convicted criminal Kent Hovind a charlatan. Apparently the fundies seem to think they are above the law as well as science (and mainstream religion).

I've seen this sort f threat time and time again from the bully boys. Robert Maxwell once threatened to sue me for calling him "as craft as a barrow load of monkeys" (something I could well say about most creationists). The justice, of course, was eventually mine!

I'm working on it with the fundies.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to News and Links