kangaroos

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

kangaroos

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:06 pm

Is this in the right place?

Michael

From Conservapaedia

Origins
According to the origins theory model used by creation scientists, modern kangaroos, like all modern animals, originated in the Middle East[1] and are the descendants of the two founding members of the modern kangaroo baramin that were taken aboard Noah's Ark prior to the Great Flood. It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.

Also according to creation science theories, after the Flood, kangaroos bred from the Ark passengers migrated to Australia. There is debate whether this migration happened over land[2] -- as Australia was still for a time connected to Europe by a land bridge similar to the one that connected Asia to America[3] -- or if they rafted on mats of vegetation torn up by the receding flood waters.[2] Another theory is that God simply generated kangaroos into existence there.

Other views on kangaroo origins include the belief of some Australian aborigines that kangaroos were sung into existence by their ancestors during the "Dreamtime" [4] and the evolutionary view that kangaroos and the other marsupials evolved from a common marsupial ancestor which lived millions of years ago.[5]
Michael

Re: kangaroos

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:42 pm

Michael wrote:Is this in the right place?

Michael

From Conservapaedia

Origins
According to the origins theory model used by creation scientists, modern kangaroos, like all modern animals, originated in the Middle East[1] and are the descendants of the two founding members of the modern kangaroo baramin that were taken aboard Noah's Ark prior to the Great Flood. It has not yet been determined by baraminologists whether kangaroos form a holobaramin with the wallaby, tree-kangaroo, wallaroo, pademelon and quokka, or if all these species are in fact apobaraminic or polybaraminic.

Also according to creation science theories, after the Flood, kangaroos bred from the Ark passengers migrated to Australia. There is debate whether this migration happened over land[2] -- as Australia was still for a time connected to Europe by a land bridge similar to the one that connected Asia to America[3] -- or if they rafted on mats of vegetation torn up by the receding flood waters.[2] Another theory is that God simply generated kangaroos into existence there.

Other views on kangaroo origins include the belief of some Australian aborigines that kangaroos were sung into existence by their ancestors during the "Dreamtime" [4] and the evolutionary view that kangaroos and the other marsupials evolved from a common marsupial ancestor which lived millions of years ago.[5]

LOL!!!!

Yer, I think we had a discussion a few days ago somewher about Conservapedia but this entry takes some beating. It seems to be trying to sugegst that evolutionary theory is even less likely than kangaroos being sung into existance.

Well, or course there is also the legendary Australian wacko Laurie Appleton, who, IIRC, believes that kangaroos swam to Australia after Noah's Flood - or rather he did until it was pointed out to him that kangaroos can't swim.

And one wonders where the land bridge between Australia and Europe ran? Any guesses as to whether it ran south of Cape Horn or south of the Cape of Good Hope?

I've got a feeling that Conservapedia is rapidly going to end up being the butt of all jokes. We should encourage it!
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:01 pm

I once preached a sermon on Noah and joking about these I said surely no one could accept that roos hopped across to PNG hopped from isalnd to island, hopped over to singapore and all the way to the Euphrates sailed round the world and then hopped back.

My organist was shaking but I upset one or two

Michael
Michael

Re: kangaroos

Postby rudyvonk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:38 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:And one wonders where the land bridge between Australia and Europe ran? Any guesses as to whether it ran south of Cape Horn or south of the Cape of Good Hope?

Actually, it is called Asia, with the wet bits then forming a land bridge (Torres Straits, Indonesian islands).
rudyvonk

Postby Chris Sergeant » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:44 pm

I thought marsupials evolved before Australia separated from Antartica and South America. Don't fossil marsupials occur on all three?
Alfred Russell Wallace found the fauna very different at the Asia end compared with Australia New Guinea area. I do not recall Australia ever being connected to Asia.
Chris Sergeant

kangaroos

Postby Dave Oldridge » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:07 am

On 16 Mar 2007 at 13:44, Chris Sergeant wrote:

I thought marsupials evolved before Australia separated from
Antartica and South America. Don't fossil marsupials occur on
all three?
Alfred Russell Wallace found the fauna very different at the
Asia end compared with Australia New Guinea area. I do not
recall Australia ever being connected to Asia.

Probably not. But at least one South American marsupial has made
it up to North America as far as Ontario. I refer to the
Virginia opossum.

--

Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667
VA7CZ
Dave Oldridge+
Dave Oldridge

Return to Science Only