Video. Mysterious Origins of Man

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby George Jelliss » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:32 pm

This video link was posted on the RDF (Dawkins) forum. It's an "alternative science" programme fronted by Charlton Heston.

http://www.sastradana.com/html/video/originsofman.htm

It's more on "Fortean" lines than creationist, i.e. it claims that scientists are involved in a massive cover-up conspiracy. It takes a different line from young-earth creationists, in that it claims humans were around actually at the time of the dinosaurs (instead of vice versa).
GPJ
George Jelliss

Re: Video. Mysterious Origins of Man

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:29 pm

George Jelliss wrote:This video link was posted on the RDF (Dawkins) forum. It's an "alternative science" programme fronted by Charlton Heston.

http://www.sastradana.com/html/video/originsofman.htm

It's more on "Fortean" lines than creationist, i.e. it claims that scientists are involved in a massive cover-up conspiracy. It takes a different line from young-earth creationists, in that it claims humans were around actually at the time of the dinosaurs (instead of vice versa).

Sounds like it's Heston reliving a thespian's dream. The basic reason why I ended up in the anti-creationist movement was over politics not science. A few years back I was researching on broadcasting in the Middle East and came across the dispensationist fundamentalist channels beaming into the region.

To say I was alarmed was one of the understatements of history. Of course, as soon as we started looking at who was behind the channels we came across the same network of fundamentalists and organisations that we are looking at now in the anti-creationist movement with the added provision it also included the neo-conservatives in the USA.

Heston was, at the time or had been until near then, head of the National Riflle Association. IIRC he had a strong connection with the fundamentalist movement but the thing that shook me rigid was when he held up a rifle in his hands and made the comment "from my cold dead hands". It just looked damned sinister - as if he hated his own democratically elected government.

He almost epitomised a hate-filled element of the fundamentalist movement. At the time we were looking at the statements of Michael Leeden (spelling??), I think of the American Enterprise Institute and I know my friends in the UK were shocked to see just how extreme his language was. Like Heston, I took the view that the AEI was utterly divorced from reality.

I've got a long pamplet on the work we did if anyone wants it - just email me.

Roger
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby John Germain » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:28 pm

Didn't Mike (Big Yellow Chicken) Moore try to interview Heston?

Seemed to end up as a lonely, embittered old man wandering about, lost and useless.

Re: Pamphlet, Roger, yes please.

John Germain
Jersey
British Channel Islands
John Germain
John Germain

Postby Anonymous » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:40 pm

Some background. The Mysterious Origins of Man is based not on Christian
fundamentalist creationism, but Hindu creationism. Its inspiration, and
backing, was Michael Cremo and Richard Thompson's Forbidden Archeology
book. The fact that Cremo and Thompson were arguing against evolution
was more than enough for US creationists to jump on the bandwagon,
without regard for the fact the Cremo intensely dislikes YEC (for example).

Of course Cremo was happy to go along with this and indeed with most
efforts to weaken evolution teachings because he views this as ground
preparation for the spread of his own version.

The MoM video is critiqued at the talkorigins website.
Anonymous

Re: Video. Mysterious Origins of Man

Postby Paula Thomas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:37 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:He almost epitomised a hate-filled element of the fundamentalist movement. At the time we were looking at the statements of Michael Leeden (spelling??), I think of the American Enterprise Institute and I know my friends in the UK were shocked to see just how extreme his language was. Like Heston, I took the view that the AEI was utterly divorced from reality.

I've got a long pamplet on the work we did if anyone wants it - just email me.

Roger

I think you may be referring to AEI supporter (according to Wikipaedia) Michael Ladeen. He is a man with a dubious history. He was involved in the Iran-Contra scandal in the 80's and wrote a book about it!
Paula Thomas

Return to Science Only