education packs

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

education packs

Postby psiloiordinary » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:49 pm

Hi Folks,

I'm fairly new to these forums so forgive if this has been covered.

Just to nail my colours to the Darwin mast first of all ;-)

These packs sent out by Truth in Science - have we got a copy - can we see it anywhere on the web at all?

Can we come up with/is there already a pint by point rebuttal document?

Thanks
psiloiordinary

Re: education packs

Postby SeaLion » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:41 pm

psiloiordinary wrote: --a pint by point rebuttal--

I'll drink to that :wink:

Seriously: I have myself been trying to run down a copy -- has anyone tried simply asking 'Truth in Science' to just give out one?

You never know....
All welcome to visit Darwin Central and the Darwintern "Conspirawiki", a constantly-evolving resource.
SeaLion

Postby psiloiordinary » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:50 pm

I have just written to my sons high school asking if they are going to use it and if not if I can have it or take a copy.

I'm a little nervous of giving TIS my address. Anybody work in a school / college who could get one sent to them?
psiloiordinary

Re: education packs

Postby tomrees » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:09 am

psiloiordinary wrote:Hi Folks,

These packs sent out by Truth in Science - have we got a copy - can we see it anywhere on the web at all?

Their lesson plans are on their website - http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/site/c ... ew/174/79/

As is a hotchpotch attack on "Evidence for Evolution"

I think we should create a mirror of their website on the wiki, with a page dedictated to each page on their site, pointing out exactly where it is wrong or misleading.
tomrees

Postby psiloiordinary » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:34 am

I spoke with the head of my son's high school science department - I wrote to him last week asking about the TIS packs and if they were being used.

He rang me Sunday evening to say yes they had them - no way would they consider using them and yes I was welcome to a copy. He has actually given the pack to the head of the RE department and I am going to try to contact here this week.

My intention is to come up with a rebuttal document focusing purely on the science content (you know what I mean).

I think that a mirror website debunking the claims entirely from a scientific point of view and aimed at science teachers is what we need.
psiloiordinary

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 pm

psiloiordinary wrote:I spoke with the head of my son's high school science department - I wrote to him last week asking about the TIS packs and if they were being used.

He rang me Sunday evening to say yes they had them - no way would they consider using them and yes I was welcome to a copy. He has actually given the pack to the head of the RE department and I am going to try to contact here this week.

My intention is to come up with a rebuttal document focusing purely on the science content (you know what I mean).

I think that a mirror website debunking the claims entirely from a scientific point of view and aimed at science teachers is what we need.

psiloiordinary,

I think that this is a great idea.

Roger
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

education packs

Postby Anonymous » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:21 pm

tomrees wrote:

Their lesson plans are on their website - http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/site/c ... ew/174/79/

They want that taught at GCSE level? I learnt all of that, without the
silly "fancy-smancy" gimmics, when I was 10 at school ! The standard
demonstrated in those pdfs is absolutely, disgustingly pathetic.
Anonymous

Postby psiloiordinary » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:39 pm

The packs consist of the Discovery Institute videos called Unlocking the Mystery of Life and Where does the evidence lead. I am told at another forum that these are or were visible online if other would like to see them.

I sat down last night with a notepad and pen to start the long and laborious process of watching the first of these (1 hr ).

At the end of an hour I had three things written down;

1) There is no evolutionary explanation for the existence of bacterial flagellum.
2) We don't know how life started.
3) It looks like it was designed to us because its really, really complicated.

Each of which is rather wishy washy and has been refuted many times.

I have previously spoken of a detailed rebuttal document - you could do it in 300 words.
psiloiordinary

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:07 pm

[quote="psiloiordinary"]The packs consist of the Discovery Institute videos called Unlocking the Mystery of Life and Where does the evidence lead. I am told at another forum that these are or were visible online if other would like to see them.

[/quoue]

Unlocking the Mystery of Life can be accessed through Bittorrent. I'm not aware if the other one can be thus accessed.

Chris Hyland has done a complete analysis of the material which can be found on Science Just Science's wiki. It includes a copy of the written material that went with the two videos.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Return to Science Only