Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution”

This forum is for the discussion of the evidence for evolution. Anyone is welcome to post, however, scripture is not allowed. As the title says, Science Only please!

Moderator: Moderators

Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution”

Postby Paul Braterman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:56 am

Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution” http://wp.me/p21T1L-c2 Fact not theory; 150 years on from Darwin's watershed publication; evidence not belief. Words matter.
Paul Braterman
Paul Braterman

Re: Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution”

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:03 pm

Paul Braterman wrote:Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution” http://wp.me/p21T1L-c2 Fact not theory; 150 years on from Darwin's watershed publication; evidence not belief. Words matter.

Paul, I take a different approach to this. When the creationists claim that Darwinism is a "belief" on a par with creationism, I point out that I do not "believe" in the theory of evolution by natural selection. Instead I "accept" it as the explanation of the differences between species as it has been thoroughly tested by the scientific method and no viable alternative, tested by the scientific method, is available.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: Why I do NOT “believe in Darwin’s theory of evolution”

Postby Paul Braterman » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:30 pm

I think that's too weak. Whatever may have been the case in 1859, change over time, homologous succession in the fossil record, and molecular phylogenies are observed facts, from which we can infer the further fact of common ancestry. Present-day biologists generally do, up to a point, accept Darwin's theory that change over time is driven by natural selection, but that such change has occurred is a fact in the same way that the occurrence of the Ice Ages is a fact (I deliberately chose an example that does not rely on testimony, but which the Creationists themselves accept, however they may explain it).
Paul Braterman
Paul Braterman

Return to Science Only