Dawkins on Bibles in schools

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

Dawkins on Bibles in schools

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun May 27, 2012 7:03 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/ ... ames-bible
"Why I want all our children to read the King James Bible".
a_haworthroberts

Re: Dawkins on Bibles in schools

Postby Michael » Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/may/19/richard-dawkins-king-james-bible
"Why I want all our children to read the King James Bible".

The version sent to schools is a facsimile of the 1611 edition with a totally different orthography. I was pulling our local head's leg about using it with infants.

Most kids would be lost with it as they would find it unreadable

Waste of money!!!
Michael

Postby cathy » Sun May 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Most schools will have some kind of bible anyway for RE lessons. It won't be the King James version tho, that is fairly tough going I think.

At a time when schools are so desperate for cash it probably wasn't politically good for christianity either. Goofy Gove.
cathy

Postby Michael » Sun May 27, 2012 9:37 pm

cathy wrote:Most schools will have some kind of bible anyway for RE lessons. It won't be the King James version tho, that is fairly tough going I think.

At a time when schools are so desperate for cash it probably wasn't politically good for christianity either. Goofy Gove.

It was a very expensive bible and useless even in secondary schools
Michael

Postby cathy » Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 am

The problem is grand gestures like this almost always have the opposite effect to the desired one when people are struggling for every penny - and suggest that teachers aren't capable or organising the resources they actually need. So even RE teachers are saying they'd rather have had the money for textbooks or exercise books or their own choice of understandable teaching bible or towards free school meals or anything else.

Grand gestures linked to stingy governments (and even tho its funded by private donors and is only one book per school, its still linked to Gove) always turn people in the oppposite direction. If he'd done it a couple of years ago when in opposition and when schools weren't losing essential staff like TAs or teachers and cutting back on less popular subjects I'm sure it would have been seen as a lovely gesture.

So Dawkins is right to be pleased and for more reasons than he's stated.

Then again it is good in a way, Next time some creationist loon like Ken Walze moans, as he has done, about Gove not approving christian free schools or Tyler complains about creeping secularism being tacit atheism in education you can just point to this. Not that it'll register. Gove has already approved loads of non creationist christian free schools (CofE and RC) yet creationists are still moaning about him being anti christian - :shock:
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:43 pm

cathy wrote:Grand gestures linked to stingy governments (and even tho its funded by private donors and is only one book per school, its still linked to Gove) always turn people in the oppposite direction.
The only reason it's privately funded is that Cameron realised what a pr disaster public funding would be, and smacked Gove down.
Sadly, there's no sign of Gove being given the push in the current re-shuffle. Cameron's booted Lansley out now that his damage has been done, so maybe Gove has still more "work" to do. :(
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Scripture Debate