From NCSE

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:23 am

Precambrian reptile found with preserved skin
By Nick Matzke on March 31, 2011 10:35 AM | 40 Comments | No TrackBacks
It’s hard to believe, but a reptile has been found in Precambrian strata (specifically Ediacaran) – with preserved skin. This sometimes happens in more recent deposits, but there has never been a case this old. Plus, this fossil is the first one I’ve ever seen that could meet Haldane’s criteria for falsifying evolution: a Precambrian rabbit. I mean, I guess now that push comes to shove I have to say that I wouldn’t give up evolution because of one out of place fossil, but I’ve always prided myself on sticking to the evidence, so I figured I should post it as soon as I heard about it.

I wouldn’t normally trust a find like this before it’s been published, but it was discovered by long-time, reliable talk.origins veteran Chris Nedin. It was only the creationists who said “Nedin cannot be trusted”, us evolutionists knew he was as good as gold.
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: From NCSE

Postby marcsurtees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:20 am

Michael wrote:Precambrian reptile found with preserved skin
By Nick Matzke on March 31, 2011 10:35 AM | 40 Comments | No TrackBacks
It’s hard to believe, but a reptile has been found in Precambrian strata (specifically Ediacaran) – with preserved skin. This sometimes happens in more recent deposits, but there has never been a case this old. Plus, this fossil is the first one I’ve ever seen that could meet Haldane’s criteria for falsifying evolution: a Precambrian rabbit. I mean, I guess now that push comes to shove I have to say that I wouldn’t give up evolution because of one out of place fossil, but I’ve always prided myself on sticking to the evidence, so I figured I should post it as soon as I heard about it.

I wouldn’t normally trust a find like this before it’s been published, but it was discovered by long-time, reliable talk.origins veteran Chris Nedin. It was only the creationists who said “Nedin cannot be trusted”, us evolutionists knew he was as good as gold.


Happy April Fool's day to you to :D
Marc
_______________________________________________________
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing
— they believe in anything." (commonly attributed to) G.K. Chesterton
marcsurtees
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:11 am

It's genuine Marc

Can you give any reason why it has to be an April fools and snakes could NOT be found in the Precambrian
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: From NCSE

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:31 am

Quite right Marc, it's clearly a joke - or a mistake - because his page header shows FOUR resting places of Noah's Arks.
http://ediacaran.blogspot.com/2011/04/n ... ution.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
User avatar
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 4171
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: From NCSE

Postby marcsurtees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:33 am

Brian Jordan wrote:Quite right Marc, it's clearly a joke - or a mistake - because his page header shows FOUR resting places of Noah's Arks.
http://ediacaran.blogspot.com/2011/04/n ... ution.html


Ahd here's another one written by a creationist and much more fun:

----------------------------------------------
Darwin Wrong Again,
www.EvolutionDaily.org/Darwin/ NorwegianBlue/45555yyyy''/ aadddll
Professor Agneta Ulvaeus of Sweden's Helsinki University says the
discovery of ''thousands of fossils of Neophrops Norvegicus coating the
sea-floor, all in death position after a massive submarine mud slide in the
Tertiary, offers no succour to Darwinism, as they are exactly like the
scampi currently on sale in the university canteen, only slighttly less
battered'.
She added, that 'it has long been suspected that the Norwegian blue
liked sleeping on its back, but this is startling proof , but cannot
understand how they are not already extinct'. '
Husband, Professor Fernando Ulvaeus, added. 'It looks like they met their
Waterloo at a time of great upheaval.....'
----------------------------------------------------------
Marc
_______________________________________________________
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing
— they believe in anything." (commonly attributed to) G.K. Chesterton
marcsurtees
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm

Marc, you ignored my question

Why are there not snakes in the precambrian?
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: From NCSE

Postby marcsurtees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Michael wrote:Marc, you ignored my question

Why are there not snakes in the precambrian?


Because snakes are terrestrial and the pre-cambrian is an assemblage of aquatic fauna.
Marc
_______________________________________________________
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing
— they believe in anything." (commonly attributed to) G.K. Chesterton
marcsurtees
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: From NCSE

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

marcsurtees wrote:
Michael wrote:Marc, you ignored my question

Why are there not snakes in the precambrian?


Because snakes are terrestrial and the pre-cambrian is an assemblage of aquatic fauna.


Nah. Sea snakes are aquatic.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
User avatar
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin
 
Posts: 6160
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Re: From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:44 pm

marcsurtees wrote:
Michael wrote:Marc, you ignored my question

Why are there not snakes in the precambrian?


Because snakes are terrestrial and the pre-cambrian is an assemblage of aquatic fauna.


On what grounds do you say the precambrian is aquatic.

How do you explain the red beds of the Torridonian - desert or the widespread glacial deposits?

Please get your geology straight
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: From NCSE

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:24 pm

I've only got as far as the first message. Then I paused. It's 1st April. Coincidence?
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: From NCSE

Postby Steve660 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Here's a picture of it:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G3xJI3ghm6M/T ... lizard.jpg

Perhaps "Dr" Carl Baugh will want to buy it for his "museum". It would not be out of place there.
Steve660
 
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: Cheshire

Re: From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Steve660 wrote:Here's a picture of it:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-G3xJI3ghm6M/T ... lizard.jpg

Perhaps "Dr" Carl Baugh will want to buy it for his "museum". It would not be out of place there.


It looks like my fossil dono pooh.

Whem's Marc going to answer my questions?
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Re: From NCSE

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Sadly, this story is all too TRUE.

http://www.channel4.com/news/at-least-8 ... an-burning

An irrational religion provokes another even more irrational (and evil) religion. That religion then murders innocent UN workers in cold blood.

I certainly hadn't heard about the Koran burning - how did these Muslim nutcases get to hear about it?
a_haworthroberts
 
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: From NCSE

Postby marcsurtees » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Michael wrote:
marcsurtees wrote:
Michael wrote:Marc, you ignored my question

Why are there not snakes in the precambrian?


Because snakes are terrestrial and the pre-cambrian is an assemblage of aquatic fauna.


On what grounds do you say the precambrian is aquatic.

How do you explain the red beds of the Torridonian - desert or the widespread glacial deposits?

Please get your geology straight


OK so some of the pre-cambrian fossils are thought to be terrestrial.
So the question is, "Why are there only certain types of terrestrial fossils in the red beds of the Torridon?"
The answer is I do not know.
Marc
_______________________________________________________
"When people stop believing in God, they don't believe in nothing
— they believe in anything." (commonly attributed to) G.K. Chesterton
marcsurtees
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: From NCSE

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:50 pm

I hav e a comprehensive collection of Torridonian fossils
Michael
 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:30 pm
Location: Lancaster

Next

Return to Scripture Debate

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron