Am I on the right planet? (Biblical authority topic)

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I on the right planet? (Biblical authority topic)

Postby macthornberg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:54 am

The bible is the source document. Concepts and ideas in it and the unerring undeviating belief it its authority are the bedrock to which all believers cling. So why isn't this absurd compendium, its origins and principles addressed/disassembled more directly by rationalists (like myself)? 66 writings assembled/filtered by the first council of Nicaea. The seed documents are the pentateuch. I believe; from these other concepts follow. All of this is the work of men believing in a sky daddy for their crops.

Believers:"the word of god". Is that because IT says so, or they do? I am definitely on the wrong planet. It's so basic an issue. If my chicken scratches, signed " this is the word of god" are found in 2000 years time, will I have started macthornbergism?
macthornberg

Re: Am I on the right planet? (Biblical authority topic)

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:40 pm

macthornberg wrote:The bible is the source document. Concepts and ideas in it and the unerring undeviating belief it its authority are the bedrock to which all believers cling. So why isn't this absurd compendium, its origins and principles addressed/disassembled more directly by rationalists (like myself)? 66 writings assembled/filtered by the first council of Nicaea. The seed documents are the pentateuch. I believe; from these other concepts follow. All of this is the work of men believing in a sky daddy for their crops.

Believers:"the word of god". Is that because IT says so, or they do? I am definitely on the wrong planet. It's so basic an issue. If my chicken scratches, signed " this is the word of god" are found in 2000 years time, will I have started macthornbergism?

duh
Michael

Postby George Jelliss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:25 am

macthornberg wrote:The bible ... why isn't this absurd compendium, its origins and principles addressed/disassembled more directly by rationalists

It's been done many times, for example:

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/

Or you could try Tom Paine's Age of Reason:

http://www.infidels.org/library/histori ... of_reason/

Of course there is always scope for a new reinterpretation.

Lots of people have invented their own religions. You'll find lots on the web.
GPJ
George Jelliss

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:04 pm

Christ is risen.

Said that several times today already
Michael

Postby George Jelliss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 pm

I had a look at the old Anglican Mainstream Forum recently, where I took part in a few arguments,
but I now find (bottom of right column) that the Discussion Forum is "undergoing renewal"
which seems appropriate for the time of year

http://www.anglican-mainstream.net/

Does that mean all my, and your, words of wisdom will have been deleted from the ether and lost to posterity?
There seem to be qute a lot of old threads missing from this site too.
GPJ
George Jelliss

Postby magnocrat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm

The bedrock believers are not agreed among themselves and there is a host of interpretations.
The label Christian has a huge variation of types and beliefs. The very word believer was introduced to block out the nominal Christian and some have even carried this a stage further to talk about real Christians or born again Christians. The uncertainty is human as we seek the solid undeniable truth.
Ah love could thou and I with fate conspire
To grasp this sorry scheme of things entire!
Would we not shatter it to bits---and then
Remold it nearer to the Hearts Desire!
magnocrat

Return to Scripture Debate