IBS website

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

IBS website

Postby Anonymous » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:59 pm

http://www.ibs.org/bibles/about/index.php

There are many statements here which I do not agree with. However, the bottom line is that chapters such as Genesis simply cannot be taken literally.
Anonymous

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:22 pm

From the section "is the bible at odds with science":

At the same time some scientists fall into the trap of calling theories facts when they are only theories. This actually violates the scientific method. Among these enormous and unproved assumptions are those concerning the origin of life and the denial of the supernatural. For such scientists the conclusion is that we got here by chance and will end up in nothingness.

I would disagree with the above. After all, even gravity is only a theory.

However, as a Christian I would have no trouble with the following:

On our sickbed when all the answers of science have been exhausted, we throw ourselves on the hope so wonderfully described in the Bible.
Peter Henderson

Postby George Jelliss » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:41 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:From the section "is the bible at odds with science":

At the same time some scientists fall into the trap of calling theories facts when they are only theories. This actually violates the scientific method. Among these enormous and unproved assumptions are those concerning the origin of life and the denial of the supernatural. For such scientists the conclusion is that we got here by chance and will end up in nothingness.

I would disagree with the above. After all, even gravity is only a theory.

However, as a Christian I would have no trouble with the following:

On our sickbed when all the answers of science have been exhausted, we throw ourselves on the hope so wonderfully described in the Bible.

"even gravity is only a theory" -- several theories in fact!

"we throw ourselves on the hope" -- but we don't throw ourselves off a cliff one hopes!
GPJ
George Jelliss

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:42 pm

[ ]

"even gravity is only a theory" -- several theories in fact!

"we throw ourselves on the hope" -- but we don't throw ourselves off a cliff one hopes![/quote]

I wish some would test the theory of gravity in a postmodern way :D :D :D
M
Michael

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:18 pm

we throw ourselves on the hope" -- but we don't throw ourselves off a cliff one hopes

Now now George, stop taking things so literally :wink:
Peter Henderson

Return to Scripture Debate