Floods in England a result of Harry Potter !

Many Christians do not believe that Scripture supports the Young Earth Creationist position. This moderated forum is for good natured scholarly debate.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Peter Henderson » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:37 pm

Was watching the bible study on Genisis TV this evening and naturally, the flood situation in England featured heavily. Lots of referances to Noah, and the fact that God wouldn't judge the world with a global flood, although there would of course be lots of local ones.

Several e-mailers made the comment that "it was no coincidence that the flooding started on the very day that the final Harry Potter book was released". Another e-mailer remarked that some of the worst flooding had taken place near J.K.Rowling's birth place in Gloucestershire. Is this mere coincidence or is God judging England becuse of Harry Potter ? This view was not held by either Tim Vince or Alun Thun (the hosts of the programme), but neither disagreed with the e-mails.

The fundies do not seem to like Harry Potter, either in the UK or US !
Peter Henderson

Postby Chris Hyland » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 am

That's not fair it completely disrupted my trip down souuth and I have absolutely no intention of reading the book.
Chris Hyland

Postby jon_12091 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:22 am

As far as I'm aware Rowling actually lives in Scotland, which is currently remarkably dry (relatively speaking). Also the floods did not start on the day the book was released as a good number of people in the north of England can testify.
jon_12091

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:44 am

As far as I'm aware Rowling actually lives in Scotland

Apparently she was born in Gloucestershire Jon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling

which seems to have experienced the worst of the floods.

There where some nutters over here burning Harry Potter books a couple of years ago, and one local toy shop refused to stock the toys on religious grounds so maybe that's why NI has been spared the worst :wink: The toy shop involved has now closed down, by the way !
Peter Henderson

PH: Er ...

Postby Kekerusey » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Several e-mailers made the comment that "it was no coincidence that the flooding started on the very day that the final Harry Potter book was released". Another e-mailer remarked that some of the worst flooding had taken place near J.K.Rowling's birth place in Gloucestershire. Is this mere coincidence or is God judging England becuse of Harry Potter ? This view was not held by either Tim Vince or Alun Thun (the hosts of the programme), but neither disagreed with the e-mails.

... which makes those "several e-mailers" really pretty dumb considering that this is not by any means the start of said floods (although I am given to understand it is the heaviest so far).

Kyu
Kekerusey

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:10 am

I'll be mad if anyone replies to this thread spoiling the end of the
book - I am half way through it. Exciting stuff:-)

To add fuel to the fire, there is a point where Harry Potter claims
there is no afterlife. Tsk tsk, such devilish work;-)
Anonymous

MB: Oh Yes There Is ...

Postby Kekerusey » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:04 am

Mike Brass wrote:I'll be mad if anyone replies to this thread spoiling the end of the
book - I am half way through it. Exciting stuff:-)

To add fuel to the fire, there is a point where Harry Potter claims
there is no afterlife. Tsk tsk, such devilish work;-)

... what about Nearly Headless Nick (as an example)????

Kyu
Kekerusey

Return to Scripture Debate