American - and making wild claims about the Bible

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

American - and making wild claims about the Bible

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:27 pm

One William Pelletier.
https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.com/2 ... e-the-sun/

Yesterday I submitted a couple of comments. They still 'await moderation':
"The Sun’s circuit does NOT take it around the Earth. Which the Bible implies was the case";
""Its rising is from one end of the heavens,
And its circuit to the other end of them;".
Taken in context ‘the heavens’ refers to the sky as seen from Earth. And not the Milky Way galaxy. The sun does not ‘rise’ over the galaxy."

Another zealot who has decided that the Bible says what he wants it to say (ie it's 'confirming modern science'). When in fact it is simply describing, in poetic language, how the Sun appears to rise in the east and set in the west. Saying the verses in Psalm 19 are describing our Sun's movement through the Milky Way galaxy is pure eisegesis. Based on the English translations the verses are not about the Sun's movement in general but about its RISING (ie as seen from Earth) and its 'circuit' to the other end of the 'heavens' ie the sky as observed from Earth during the daytime. Yes the Bible verses are accurate. No they are not describing modern scientific knowledge about the Sun's orbit around the centre of the galaxy - which takes around 230 million years according to the word of MAN (whilst the word of God is SILENT on the topic).

"Thousands of years before scientists discovered that the Sun traverses a circuit through the heavens, the Bible alluded to this." Except that it simply reports what unscientific people could observe on a daily basis (weather permitting). The Sun 'rising' in the east and 'setting' in the west. Caused primarily by Earth's rotation which the Bible tells us NOTHING of (unless anyone knows otherwise and I did a quick google search). And an observation from Earth's surface that you DON'T need to be a God to know about.

Science has been way ahead of the Bible for a very considerable time. Which does not much worry rational Christians since the Bible is neither a science book nor a 'textbook of historical science'.
a_haworthroberts

Re: American - and making wild claims about the Bible

Postby a_haworthroberts » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:52 pm

PS When I wrote today that the Bible is 'accurate' I mean it accurately reports what is observed from Earth (the observation that the Sun does a 'circuit' across the sky each day) ie whilst scientifically the Sun does not orbit the Earth these verses are not 'bad science' because they are poetic and simply reflect what is observed from Earth (even though what we observe is largely caused by Earth's daily rotation and not by the movement of the Sun - and whole solar system - around the centre of the galaxy).
a_haworthroberts

Postby a_haworthroberts » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:42 pm

He's American and censoring criticism of his claims.

Which I'm sure he has read as a year later than the post I criticised he's still busy blogging:
https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.com/home/
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All