Yet another CMI pseudo-science conference in the UK

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Yet another CMI pseudo-science conference in the UK

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:51 pm

https://creation.com/london2018

This from people who believe that the flood in Genesis was accompanied by massive volcanism and was followed by an ice age. Neither of which is mentioned in Genesis. While at the same time their view is that Genesis is 'infallible' history and whenever it touches science topics is 'infallibly' correct.

I see that one topic at the conference is 'Igneous origin of salt formations'.
I found this article. Why was it written? To try and DISCREDIT accepted science (that makes a 6,000 year old Earth, totally flooded 4,500 years ago, fiction) of course.
https://creation.com/magmatic-origin-salt-deposits (see opening para)
Hmm - I would have thought the mainstream scientific explanation was more biblical (in accordance with a 'global flood') than the stuff being made up by CMI. After all, as the article states: "Large formations of rock salt are found on every continent around the world... These salt deposits are commonly referred to as “evaporites” because they are considered to have been formed by the evaporation of sea water".

I read online: "Evaporite is the term for a water-soluble mineral sediment that results from concentration and crystallization by evaporation from an aqueous solution. There are two types of evaporite deposits: marine, which can also be described as ocean deposits, and non-marine, which are found in standing bodies of water such as lakes. Evaporites are considered sedimentary rocks and are formed by chemical sediments"; and
"Rocks formed by the evaporation of water are called evaporites - gypsum, anhydrite, halite (common salt). This evaporation may occur in either shallow basins on land or in the sea. Material (salts) is eroded from land surfaces and is then carried to the sea by rivers. When seawater evaporates, the salts precipitate and settle to the bottom. The less-soluble compounds (those that dissolve less readily in water) are deposited first. Calcium sulphate (the compound that forms gypsum and anhydrite) is the first to be deposited. Sodium chloride (halite compound) is next in the order of solubility. Sea formed evaporites are generally thicker and are more widespread."

Despite the article concluding "The huge salt deposits found around the globe are not the result of the evaporation of seawater over long periods of time. Rather, the deposits were emplaced as a molten [salt as in sodium chloride/halite] magma at temperatures above 800°C" I also suspect evaporites are found in locations where there are (virtually) NO 'live' volcanoes today or in the more recent (real) geological past. Such as in the European Permian Basin (referred to in this article as the Permian Zechstein - which gives a clue as to how old it probably is). That being something this CMI piece fails to comment on. Also, when the article refers to 'salt' it's not always clear that what they are discussing (when referring to deposits in particular places) is actually sodium chloride.

CMI are peddling pseudo-science. To the gullible and the biased. Why? Because they are Christian fundamentalists. Who want to tell other Christians what to think about Genesis. And science.
a_haworthroberts

Re: Yet another CMI pseudo-science conference in the UK

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Concerning evaporites, comments here by GeoChristian (in the blog and then underneath) may be of interest. I'll take a look at his two links and if I decide to comment on them I'll do so there:
https://geochristian.com/2018/03/19/sho ... /#comments
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All