Problems in Scotland

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Problems in Scotland

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:15 am

Came across this while browsing:

Leading creationist Dr Nagy Iskander reappointed to sit on South Lanarkshire council education committee as unelected religious representative.

A MEDICAL doctor described as one of Europe’s most active creationists has been reappointed to sit on the education committee of South Lanarkshire council.
Dr Nagy Iskander, who has claimed that a key tenet of evolution is “really illogical”, will be allowed to vote at meetings even though he is unelected.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1588 ... classroom/
Peter Henderson

Re: Problems in Scotland

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:14 pm

Hi Peter, nice to hear from you.
It's not gone un-noticed, the National Secular Society flagged it up. I thought their Scottish branch and/or Scottish Humanists were trying to get the system changed but evidently they hadn't got as far as I'd thought. Iskander seems to be a constant - and evidently no minor religous organisations felt like challenging him this time round.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:38 pm

This isn't strictly about creationism but because it is very accurate insight into the current state of English schools that I'd exploit if I were a creationist thought it'd be useful heads up. Morale at an all time low. Lack of money everywhere. Teachers leaving profession in droves. Staff shortages. The logical conclusion of Goves ideology.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/car ... 86751.html
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Cathy, nice to hear from you.
One hears dreadful tales of these academy chains - one is claimed to have syphoned money off its schools before going bust. What's the position on teachers' pensions? The local district nurses have been privatised to a "not for profit" company and I've heard grumbling about whether or not they can stay in the NHS pension scheme. I can't remember the details, but it didn't sound good.
All the rest aside I was horrified after this morning's "The Big Questions" programme. I happened to look up the school hosting it, and it was in the massive Oasis academy chain, run by Baptist preacher Steve Chalke. What with the CofE, whatever proportion of schools are under the control of religious bodies these days?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

Hi Brian
It is very bad in schools these days. If you're young enough you leave. I have NEVER seen folk so disillusioned. Not through any of the past changes. Nothing has caused as much damage as Gove. Though he did disappear before the poo hit the fan. Corruption is fairly normal. Kids seem less and less happy. Lots more stress issues. Dealing with more self harm, prevent strategies - everything really.

As for standards - for all Goves rhetoric they've dumbed down. That's the first time I've said that. Lots of practical work has gone at A level and GCSE. Once my youngest gets through it all I'm off. To do anything. Maybe stacking shelves in Tescos where at least they have a clue how to run a business.

Not sure this is directly relevant to creationism but perhaps it leaves doors open. I remember research that showed a clear correlation between social welfare and religion - better social welfare = less religion, or certainly less extremism. So the way things are going who knows how long we'll be secular or sanely religious? Anyway as not much of direct relevance to report I'll stop wasting your time but thought it useful to give you heads up on how we're all feeling. Worth bearing in mind the lack of energy to care.
cathy

Bigot sticks his oar in

Postby a_haworthroberts » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 am

http://radaractive.blogspot.co.uk/2018/ ... -fury.html
"Have you noticed that logic and critical thinking are actively discouraged instead of taught in schools nowadays? Bullying and ridicule [link to this thread] from Darwin's microcephalic children ensue, again equating evolution with science and inferring that creationists are bad people with "agendas". Yet, secularists have agendas, and seek to protect their death cult of evolutionism from scrutiny.
Their double standards include allowing bullying of Christians and creationists because we "deserve it", as I've seen a few tinhorns say. Some will even reflexively call us "liars" because they dislike (or do not understand) evidence we present. Those actions are nothing less than unabashed bigotry, old son..."

You don't have to be a gutless coward and total hypocrite to be a young earth creationist blogger - but it certainly helps.

I have shown, repeatedly, that Sorensen is a pathological liar:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3153&start=1050
(thread now runs to more than 70 pages)

His only response (from afar and targeting the rabble who like his postings) has been to accuse me, without evidence, of 'lying'. Otherwise he ignores all my rebuttals and then acts as though they 'never' happened. Such as the most recent one. Where I exposed that Sorensen FALSELY claimed that an article he flagged explained why there are no known dinosaur fossils at the (tragic today) Grand Canyon and FALSELY stated that I "ignored the answer and kept on like it was never provided" - whereas I critiqued the alleged answer in great detail.

Sorensen is a proven liar, bigot, hypocrite and coward. QED. (That stands for something else apart from this, Bob: http://www.piltdownsuperman.com/2018/02 ... ought.html)

"... evolution must be protected from scrutiny...". That would be young earth creationism, Bob.

Which is why you censor all attempted criticisms of your Facebook pages, avoid any open debate, and have followers who attempt to get any Facebook pages that seek to debunk your posts closed down.

"Perhaps one reason we are a threat to secularists is because we promote critical thinking ...". You promote propaganda, indoctrination, stereo-typing and hate, Bob. You are in a class of your own there.
a_haworthroberts

Return to Free For All