Gove on Revelation TV

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Gove on Revelation TV

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:52 pm

While channel hopping the other evening I came across Michael Gove being interviewed on Revelation TV by presenter Simon Barrett.

Since Gove was a former education secretary, I'm wondering what his views are on creationism and AGW, since Revelation TV is renowned for both ?
Peter Henderson

Re: Gove on Revelation TV

Postby Mountkeen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:48 pm

Gove, apart from being a rather dishonest, back-stabbing Tory, is probably on the high-church side of the christian spectrum.

To give him his due when education secretary I believe he sided with reason when he refused to give creationists lip-service in the science classrooms of our schools. Nevertheless I think he's someone who'd have sold his granny if he thought there were benefits to him, so he's hardly the most trustworthy of politicians and he'll say and do whatever he believes will benefit Michael Gove.
Mountkeen

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:18 pm

In the judgment of May, and despite his ambivalent record, he's considered suitable to be Environment Secretary (or more importantly protection against premature plotting to bring her down by Boris - which must only happen when the Tories can cope with another election, since a Boris PM would have NO mandate WHATSOEVER).
a_haworthroberts

Postby Mountkeen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:35 am

From Wikipedia:

Gove stated he was "Christian and proud of it" at a talk to pupils at Westminster School in 2012. Noting the singing of the "deliberately anti-Catholic rant", the Famine Song at Rangers-Celtic matches, he credited Cardinal Keith O'Brien with using his intellect to protect the vulnerable in Scotland whilst regretting the absence of a similar figure in the Kirk.

Gove was behind plans to provide schools throughout England and Wales with a copy of the King James Bible (inscribed "presented by the Secretary of State for Education") to celebrate the 400th anniversary of its translation into English, though he said he backed the scheme because of the historical and cultural significance of that translation rather than on purely religious grounds.

When, in an interview during the EU referendum campaign it was claimed that there was no expert opinion to support that leaving the EU would bring any benefits, Gove remarked that "the people of this country have had enough of experts from organizations with acronyms saying they know what is best and getting it consistently wrong."

As Environment secretary it'll be interesting to see how he views the experts on anthropogenic climate change
Mountkeen

Postby Brian Jordan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:28 pm

I thought the problem with Gove's Bible was that he was told off for trying to do it as a Government Minister using public money. I hadn't realised he'd dropped it altogether: that couldn't possibly be anything to do with the hit on his own pocket, of course.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All