Arlene Foster distances herself from creationism

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Arlene Foster distances herself from creationism

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Northern Ireland's new first minister, and leader of the DUP, distances herself from the Caleb foundation and creationism:

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/northe ... z3zlPjoT2h

Speaking during a BBC Spotlight profile of her on Tuesday night, the First Minister was asked whether she is a creationist.

She replied: “You know, I have been asked this question many times and actually when I joined the party they asked was I joining the church. And that is a fundamental misunderstanding.

“We have to see the Bible in the context of the scientific developments. I take as my leader the way in which Her Majesty The Queen is a low Anglican – that is something that is very akin to the way in which I worship as well.”

When asked about the influence of the Caleb Foundation, Mrs Foster said: “That is not the DUP; the Caleb Foundation is an organisation that exists to lobby and to promote their beliefs. And they are perfectly entitled to do that.”

Since she's an Anglican rather than a Free Presbyterian, I suppose that's understandable.
Peter Henderson

Re: Arlene Foster distances herself from creationism

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:10 pm

I wonder just what the influence of the Caleb Foundation is these days. It always struck me as an outfit well and truly stuck in the 19th Century mindset.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: Arlene Foster distances herself from creationism

Postby Peter Henderson » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:35 pm

Indeed Roger, it would be the case with many of our politicians, and not just the DUP, as was demonstrated in last night's various motions to amend the justice bill re abortion for FFAs and cases of rape and incest. Even most of the Alliance Party voted against allowing for abortion in cases of the latter. All based around the 1861 offences against the person act (as is the case in the ROI as well).

The rest of the parties may distance themselves from YECism, but they're no better than the DUP on other issues.

I'm hoping the Greens run a candidate in East Antrim, otherwise, I'm going to have great difficulty in deciding who to vote for.
Peter Henderson

Return to Free For All