New territory: Left v. Science?

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

New territory: Left v. Science?

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:55 pm

I was amazed to come across this article in the Spectator, where Toby Young argues that the Left is liable to attack scientists who contradict some of its established beliefs. (Sound familiar?)
It relates to an anthropologist who dismissed the idea of the Noble Savage, saying humans come like us - fighting, stealing, and such - without being subjected to capitalism and the like. For that, a man's career was destroyed and only redeemed by a noble advocate.
A belated New Year competition, perhaps: can you come up with any aspect of chemistry or physics that might be similarly politically incorrect? (No biology please, we don't know whether the Left is pro the poor beleaguered creationists.)
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/the-lefts-own-war-on-science/
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: New territory: Left v. Science?

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:56 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:I was amazed to come across this article in the Spectator, where Toby Young argues that the Left is liable to attack scientists who contradict some of its established beliefs. (Sound familiar?)
It relates to an anthropologist who dismissed the idea of the Noble Savage, saying humans come like us - fighting, stealing, and such - without being subjected to capitalism and the like. For that, a man's career was destroyed and only redeemed by a noble advocate.
A belated New Year competition, perhaps: can you come up with any aspect of chemistry or physics that might be similarly politically incorrect? (No biology please, we don't know whether the Left is pro the poor beleaguered creationists.)
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/the-lefts-own-war-on-science/

Toby Young's article seems to be a staw man. As far as I am aware, nobody has believed in the idea of the noble savage for years and years. Margaret Meade's work as an anthropologist was long ago seriously debunked.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: New territory: Left v. Science?

Postby jon_12091 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:20 pm

I'm fairly certain the 'green' movement may have a few skeletons in its closet - but these will be issues of interpretation rather than direct distortion or falsication of results.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Return to Free For All