State still funding creationist schools

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

State still funding creationist schools

Postby Brian Jordan » Sat May 02, 2015 11:18 am

according to a series of BHA FoA enquiries. The Telegraph reports
Yet a series of Freedom of Information (FOI) requests show that 54 private schools are still being funded by local authorities, while continuing to teach that the Earth began with Adam and Eve.

Only 14 of the 91 schools teaching creationism have had their funding withdrawn, an investigation by the British Humanist Association revealed.

The campaign group also found that some faith schools' science departments were teaching pupils to identify what happened on each of the days of the creation.

The curriculum of one group of religious schools reads: "Creation stories give a holistic image of the origins of the earth, plants, animals and human beings."

In another, it says that 'The Darwinian mechanism delivers clarifying power within a certain range of phenomena, but it is rooted in reductionist thinking and Victorian ethics and young people need to emerge from school with a clear sense of its limits.'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11578432/Creationism-still-taught-in-faith-schools-despite-Government-funding-threat.html
The article mentions both Christian Schools Trust and Accelerated Christian Education schools as being among the culprits but gives no indication of how they have obtained state funding in the first place. i shall have to look for the original report on the BHA site.
Interestingly, the creationists get much less of a kicking in the Telegraph comments than i have seen after similar items on the Mail site. One commenter getting away with dismissing evolution is a polycommenter common on the Telegraph and Guardian sites, one "Slobberdan" who seems handy with the cut and paste. He refers to the work of "Harry" - actually Barry - Hall of Rochester university who seems to have his work appropriated by the usual creationist suspects. Acutally Hall seems to be a perfectly respectable evolutionary biologist, judging by a press release from his university: http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=1555
Harry for Barry might be a typo, but Slobberdan's confusion of haemophilia with sickle-cell anaemia in conferring resistance to malaria is less excusable. Even so, it might be worth looking at Hall's work to make sure that the creationists are indeed misrepresenting it.
EDIT TO ADD
The BHA link is here https://humanism.org.uk/2015/05/02/bha-reveals-creationist-private-schools-continue-to-receive-state-funds-through-nurseries-despite-government-ban/
It's the rather old story that the schools are getting funds through what is, in effect, aoucher scheme for nursery funding. The BHA says that this was officially stopped for creationist schools last year.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Re: State still funding creationist schools

Postby cathy » Sat May 02, 2015 5:07 pm

On first reading the BHA report is a little bit misleading (so no surprises there). It actually looks like the 'funding' is part of the fifteen free hours at nursery for three and four year olds rather than direct funding to the institution!

It is this finding which is referred to as far as I can ascertain
https://www.gov.uk/help-with-childcare- ... -year-olds

Which is attached to the child for private or state funded nurseries or childcare. Yes it's a loophole and I'm not sure it was ever closed. Yes it's wrong. But the BHA need to be more accurate in their reporting. It is not the direct funding of creationist schools.

If a parent were paying to send their child to a private creationist nursery they would get the same free fifteen hours as anyone paying to send their child to a normal private nursery. Or state nursery or childminder. The funding will cease once the child starts school whereby they'll either go to a state funded school hopefully free of creationism or pay the full fees to go to a creationist one. Still a loophole that should be closed. But how?
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon May 04, 2015 4:56 pm

I think you, i and the BHA are all talking about the same funding. According to their link to the Telegraph the changes are riding on the back of the Trojan horse business;
n her first major policy announcement, Nicky Morgan will say that local authorities will be obliged to use new powers to strip nurseries of their funding if they are found to “promote extremist views”.

She will also say that toddlers should be taught “fundamental British values in an age-appropriate way” as part of a drive to protect children from religious radicals.

Nurseries that teach creationism as scientific fact will be ineligible for taxpayer funding, under the new rules.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11020356/Toddlers-at-risk-of-extremism-warns-Education-Secretary.html
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby a_haworthroberts » Mon May 04, 2015 5:39 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:I think you, i and the BHA are all talking about the same funding. According to their link to the Telegraph the changes are riding on the back of the Trojan horse business;
n her first major policy announcement, Nicky Morgan will say that local authorities will be obliged to use new powers to strip nurseries of their funding if they are found to “promote extremist views”.

She will also say that toddlers should be taught “fundamental British values in an age-appropriate way” as part of a drive to protect children from religious radicals.

Nurseries that teach creationism as scientific fact will be ineligible for taxpayer funding, under the new rules.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11020356/Toddlers-at-risk-of-extremism-warns-Education-Secretary.html

Thus 'British values' taught in schools don't or should not include religious fundamentalism and creationism (especially not when the religion in question is Islam perhaps).

Ironically, the Christian Party has prepared a 2015 Declaration of British values ahead of the General Election:
http://www.ukchristianparty.org/campaig ... -page.html
But in this document at least they are not trying to push creationism. (But see my post here dated 23 April: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3654)
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Thu May 14, 2015 4:44 pm

Think this guy has come onto the BCSE radar as a creationist before. The reverend West BNP. Least ways i think the name is familiar.

He's been allowed into schools by the look of it. Tho it was just a bit of racism rather than out and out creationism.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-32597460
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:15 pm

The "Rev" West has cropped up on couple of occasions, he's probably creationist, though appears to more concerned with muslims and immigrants under his bed than eviloutionists.

It does raise one question, who let him into a school in the first place, he has a history and its reasonably public?
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby cathy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:35 pm

This article about Swedens free schools is interesting given they were the model for Gove's free school debacle.

It would appear they've been an unmitigated disaster. Swedens scores in education have plummeted. Seems "privately run schools funded by public money" don't work :shock: :shock: :shock: Who'd have thunk it? Everyone!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... -education

BUT despite Sweden showing free schools to be a disaster AND the UK free schools faring quite badly, AND real proper schools run by people who know about education rather than bloke in pub being starved of funds - it looks like Ncky (less popular than Gove - nobody would have thought that possible) Morgan (should it be moron) plans a mass expansion of the free school programme!! I know because for some bizarre reason I keep getting e mails from Cameron's publicity depts - must have filled in some survey or other.

Ah well. We're all mighty teary in the science dept. Not cos we is we is all girly with no Tim Hunts to fall in love with - cos I'm the only fragile 'girl' swooning irrationally and emotionally all over the Bunsen's. The rest are hardy, clever, logical blokes tho strangely they all manage with women in labs - cos they ain't Tim Hunts I guess. No it's cos we've run out of sodium hydroxide (really), benzoic acid, the end has broken off the Hoffman Voltameter and we've got no cash till Sept budget when we'll have a whole new A level syllabus with new practical requirements like lab books.

So free schools a disaster. Morgan to expand their numbers.
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:46 pm

Well Labour's new leader Jeremy Corbyn is very much against Academy and Free schools wanting to get them all back under LEA oversight. On the downside he's probably nigh on unelectable on his platform as is (perhaps fortunately as he seems to believe that religious and nationalist fundamentalists are amenable to dialogue).

Not sure about his ideas for a 'national education service' though - sounds like a recipe for an overly bloated bureaucratic body that will probably make delivering his vision of education more difficult....
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Return to Free For All