AiG UK Mega conference, Belfast September 2015

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Josh Duggar

Postby Brian Jordan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:44 pm

a_haworthroberts wrote:Why does any family need, or accidentally end up with, NINETEEN kids?!
Certainly no accident. Perhaps arrogance or ignorance, more likely stupidity.
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:06 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
a_haworthroberts wrote:Why does any family need, or accidentally end up with, NINETEEN kids?!

I see Andy McIntosh remains up to his neck in this cretinist round.

For what it is worth our delightful friend David Anderson seems to have entirely disappeared from the world of preaching.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:55 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:

More likely trying to prove a point Brian, but I'm not quite sure what that point is.
Last edited by Peter Henderson on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:58 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:
Brian Jordan wrote:

For what it is worth our delightful friend David Anderson seems to have entirely disappeared from the world of preaching.

I probably should have taken the opportunity to go along to hear Snelling and Faulkner, but I don't think I could have sat through a full day of that crap, especially when you had to pay for it.
Peter Henderson

Postby jon_12091 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:33 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:I probably should have taken the opportunity to go along to hear Snelling and Faulkner, but I don't think I could have sat through a full day of that crap, especially when you had to pay for it.

There are some things that are above and beyond!
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:21 am

Roger Stanyard wrote:

Peter, you may be interested to know that the arch-creationist organisation, the Caleb Foundation, looks to be no more. Its web site is now dead.

It doesn't surprise me at all that it has gone to joining the choir invisible given the successful prosecution of its press officer. What does astound me is that it existed in the first place (it was formed in 1998 according to Wikipedia). The outfit didn't belong in the 20th Century let alone the 21st Century. Sill, it's backers, in the form of DUP members (mostly associated with Paisley's Free Presbyterian Church) are still around.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:27 am

Peter Henderson wrote:
I probably should have taken the opportunity to go along to hear Snelling and Faulkner, but I don't think I could have sat through a full day of that crap, especially when you had to pay for it.

I wonder just what the demographics of such creationists are. I have the distinct impression that the demographic base is very narrow - white, male, lower middle class/upper working class and ageing (i.e. like me!). That is a minority. No wonder they had turn to David Anderson back in 2008; as you know I always though he was nothing more than a shabby front man and naive to boot.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: AiG UK Mega conference, Belfast September 2015

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:41 pm

I seem to remember AiG claiming 1300 people had registered for the conference a short time ago Roger. I'd imagine that would pretty much equate to the membership of Whitewell. The Ham talk I went to at the church three years ago seemed pretty similar i.e. a vast majority of those attending were members of the church.

Even in Northern Ireland, this is really quite a narrow group of people overall, even though it's prevalent in all the evangelical churches.

I haven't seen any reports of the conference, although I was told someone From the NI Atheist Society had taken some photographs of the children's talks. I couldn't find these on Facebook.

Maybe I should have gone along, but Snelling and Faulkner would probably have been simply repeating all the usual YEC claims, which is why I didn't bother.

Tas Walker spoke at the People's Church earlier in the year, a split that occurred as a result of a major row in Whitewell a few years back.
Peter Henderson

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:50 pm

Nathan Anderson, who was chair of the Queen's University Creation society, has been elected as a DUP councillor to the new Lisburn Castlereagh super council.

You may recall that Anderson had an encounter with P.Z., Myers when he spoke in Belfast in 2012. The QUB creation society appears to be dead. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated for quite a few years now.

As an aside, I notice Monty White appears to have retired from speaking completely. Is he still alive ? He was having quite serious health problems, if I remember correctly.

His website hasn't updated for several years now, which is why I wondered.

http://www.biblicalfoundations.org.uk/
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:15 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Nathan Anderson, who was chair of the Queen's University Creation society, has been elected as a DUP councillor to the new Lisburn Castlereagh super council.

You may recall that Anderson had an encounter with P.Z., Myers when he spoke in Belfast in 2012. The QUB creation society appears to be dead. Their Facebook page hasn't been updated for quite a few years now.

As an aside, I notice Monty White appears to have retired from speaking completely. Is he still alive ? He was having quite serious health problems, if I remember correctly.

His website hasn't updated for several years now, which is why I wondered.

http://www.biblicalfoundations.org.uk/

For what it is worth, Truth in Science may have quietly died. There hasn't been a post on its blog for a year and the people listed as behind the organisation are exactly the same there were a few years back, with an average age of about 108 or so.

Truth in Science was basically the organisation BCSE was set up to combat. However, the nutters behind TiS seemed to have failed to grasp that it was not a good idea to launch it after the ID movement failed so spectacularly in the Dover trial. TiS also didn't help is own cause by openly advertising the names behind it - they all appear to be young earth creationists. It was just an ID front for the same tired old YEC position.

So, it seems that the best long term strategy to handle the YECers (at least those this side of the pond) is to watch them all pop their clogs over the next decade or so. Pity poor Old Harry, though. Imagine the bother the YECers will cause him when they get there. Can you imagine what he'll' go through as and when the delightful David Anderson turns up? All that Bible thumping and moralising? Strewth, it would surprise me if Old Harry runs him out of town. Wouldn't be the first time for Anderson, though. He got run out of Kenya.

Edit: the thought has crossed my mind that it must be a noisy place these days - what, with Ian Paisley screaming at Old Harry and just about everyone else...
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:32 pm

Indeed Roger, Truth in Science appears to have died the death ever since Norman Nevin passed away a couple of years ago

I've had a few run ins with Jonathan McLatchie on the unbelievable Facebook page but it's Larry Moran who continually tears his nonsense apart over on his Sandwalk blog.

Yep, it seems to be an aging group of people these days, with Paul Taylor looking after some obscure creation museum beside Mt St. Helens:

http://www.7wondersmuseum.org/7ws1/

Basically, a couple of prefabs:

How did Paul Taylor get reduced to this ? How the mighty have fallen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gK9syG9CXw
Peter Henderson

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:23 pm

Peter Henderson wrote:Indeed Roger, Truth in Science appears to have died the death ever since Norman Nevin passed away a couple of years ago

I've had a few run ins with Jonathan McLatchie on the unbelievable Facebook page but it's Larry Moran who continually tears his nonsense apart over on his Sandwalk blog.

Yep, it seems to be an aging group of people these days, with Paul Taylor looking after some obscure creation museum beside Mt St. Helens:

http://www.7wondersmuseum.org/7ws1/

Basically, a couple of prefabs:

How did Paul Taylor get reduced to this ? How the mighty have fallen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gK9syG9CXw

Well it also looks as if Genesis Agendum is now pushing up the daisies. It hasn't held a lecture since 2012. ;-)

Paul Taylor has fallen far. He had no high standing in the first place!
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 pm

A bit more on ex-Big Ken Scam's Ark encounter. It appears that Scam has only raised just over US$21 million for the project, half a decade after hs @launched@ it. Not bad, you may think except that the ludicrously fraudulent attempt to create the Ark was originally billed to cost US$172 million; It seems that the entire project either been scaled back to US$30 million or Scam has a project nowhere near being funded and years late to boot.

Edit: Apparently to try and drum up support for the Ark Encounter, Scam has decided to have a go at "liberals" had has hired billboards with a picture of the ark alongside the text: “To all our intolerable liberal friends; Thank God you can’t sink this ship”.

Why is surprising as the thing can't float in the first place - not financially and not according to even basic principals of naval architecture. The whole design looks to be taken straight from a kiddies's 19th century Sunday School book. But, then, the entire project is like Ken Scam, a scam.
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Peter Henderson » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:52 pm

I noticed on Facebook that Monty white has donated a number of his books and other artefacts to BCM. so he appears to have completely retired from speaking.

It seems he and his wife have serious health issues.

It does appear that in the UK at least, a small but dwindling number of people have quite a large influence within the churches.
Peter Henderson

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All