UKIP on climate change.

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: UKIP on climate change.

Postby cathy » Fri May 30, 2014 12:41 pm

The general consensus was that they did best in areas with low numbers of immigrants AND low numbers of graduates. The second being the most telling ha ha.
cathy

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri May 30, 2014 1:01 pm

cathy wrote:The general consensus was that they did best in areas with low numbers of immigrants AND low numbers of graduates. The second being the most telling ha ha.

Indeed, but lest we forget, London has been good at addressing its inner city areas of deprevation - half decent policing, a good wlefare system and a lot of experimentation in education; there's also the vast expendiiture on infrastructure projects such as Thameslink, Crossrail, the channel tunnel line and the East London line upgrading amongst them. All the West Midlands got was a single and not very well used tram line.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri May 30, 2014 8:58 pm

All the West Midlands got was a single and not very well used tram line.

Hmph but we are still brilliant (and that is from an ex Londoner) even if we haven't rejected UKIP so vehemently ye
cathy

Postby Peter Henderson » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:46 pm

and this is what it would be like should UKIP ever gain a position of power:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/scienc ... zrqmx.html
Peter Henderson

Postby cathy » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:59 pm

This would appear to be their official policy Peter. As far as I can tell. The 'issues' section of their website is low on facts. It is mainly out of eu, restrict immigration to those who can afford to pay for everything for five years (that is health and education). On health and welfare it is meaningless sound bites - GPs surgeries open at night for workers. Benefits as a safety net not a bed for the lazy and so on. Pure propaganda - meaningless sound bites that sound good but are not backed up by any real anything.

Anyway under general prosperity I found this (and yes this is the standard of what appears to be their rather empty manifesto. Any decent political animal should be able to tear them to shreds so why the hell the existing parties aren't is beyond me. I've highlighted the anti green bits.

Save £55m a day in membership fees by leaving the EU and give British workers first crack at the 800,000 jobs we currently advertise to EU workers.

• No tax on the minimum wage.

• Enrol unemployed welfare claimants onto community schemes or retraining workfare programmes.

Scrap HS2, all green taxes and wind turbine subsidies.

• Develop shale gas to reduce energy bills and free us from dependence on foreign oil and gas - place the tax revenues into a British Sovereign Wealth Fund.

• UKIP will abolish inheritance tax. Inheritance tax brings in under £4bn - less than a third of what we spend on foreign aid. The super-rich avoid it, while modest property owners get caught by it. It hits people during a time of grief and UKIP will budget in its 2015 spending plans to completely abolish this unfair death tax.

• Make cuts to foreign aid that are real and rigorous.

Of course for more detail there is strange moustachioed Roger Helmer. Standing in Newark (yes home of the Everyday Champions Academy) on June 5th His views are interesting. Beyond of course the more widely publicised ones on gay marriage being like marrying pigs, gayness being wrong and all of that. Plus a less publicised on the difference between date rape and stranger rape.
The "Great Climate Myth" of global warming

Helmer labelled climate change the "Great Climate Myth", and spent £9,000 on a poster campaign for climate change scepticism. His slogan was the inspiring: "Green climate change policies: Probably unnecessary, Certainly ineffectual, Ruinously expensive."

He responded to critics by saying "I am speaking for the majority of British voters".

Quite bizarre was his take on seal cubs. Like date rape victims their sorry fate is their own fault. Yes I believe they deserve a good clubbing for being dumb and eating too much fish.

Dumb" seal cubs deserve to be killed

In 2006, Helmer commented that beating "dumb" seal cubs on the head was a "humane" way of killing them, and he told a 17-year-old animal rights campaigner to "save your concerns for people rather than them." In a bizarre accusation, he also condemned seals as "guilty" of eating too much fish.

He wrote to A-level student Madeleine Harrold:

I think it's mawkish, sentimental and unhelpful to adopt a Bambi attitude to animals. Your sympathy for dumb animals does you credit but save your concerns for people rather than them.

I believe he is in with a good chance in Newark.

I would love to know how the Everyday Champions lot view him, and whether he will be sympathetic to their desire to have more control over their science curriculum?
cathy

Postby AlanB » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm

The only thing uniting UKIP MEPs sitting in the EU Parliament is the fact that they don't want to be there. Chances are that they will either lose interest and not bother to turn up, or they will leave UKIP to join the Conservative Party or they will leave UKIP to form parties of there own.
AlanB

Postby Roger Stanyard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:43 pm

AlanB wrote:The only thing uniting UKIP MEPs sitting in the EU Parliament is the fact that they don't want to be there. Chances are that they will either lose interest and not bother to turn up, or they will leave UKIP to join the Conservative Party or they will leave UKIP to form parties of there own.

Yer, they are like the US Tea Party - defined by what they are against rather than what they are for.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby jon_12091 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Apologies for the threadromancy, but I posited a question last month on this issue on the thread linked below and wondered if anyone had any thoughts?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3584
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby magnocrat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:37 pm

We must not forget that the popular press are largely responsible for puplic opinion and at the time of and election politicans need public support. Once the hurdle of the election is over and the reins secured our leaders can relax and enjoy lucrative posts. Naturally the public get what they want and they don't want the Guardian or the Times much prefering the Sun or the Mail. The sad fact is that truth will not gain a seat and poverty has no voice. Religion which should be the conscience of the world lies in shatters. No wonder Martin Rees ex astronomer royle thinks we only have a 50:50 chance of surviving this century.
magnocrat

Postby cathy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Sales of the Scum, sorry the lower than loathsome Sun are falling faster than any other paper. Tho I still can't get my parents to stop reading it. It feeds its readers a diet of celebrity tits and Jeremy Clarkson (tho strictly speaking those aren't two distinct categories). The Daily Fail is perhaps more worrying in that it claims to print 'news'. The Times has become the publicity arm of the Sun by the looks of it. Playing straight guy to its lads 'jokes' about page three and dissing the Suns nemesis Russell Brand.

On the other thread you mentioned IQ. For the nature component of IQ I'd say all three aim at lowering it. But the combined sales of the Sun and Daily Fail still constitute a minority of the population. The goal is how to reach the rest. Print media is declining. As for the conscience of the world, I don't think it's gone. This guy is brilliant

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... -episode-1

There is Stewart Lee, Bridget Christie and a host of other comedians needling the nasties. Sadly not as mainstream as they should be. Try Stewart Lee's pieces on Top Gear and UKIP if you can. On you tube.
cathy

Postby magnocrat » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:30 am

I hope you are right but I fear you may have misjudged puplic taste. I conceed humour may reach parts yet untouched but I'm old enough to remember Alf Garnet. Humour can also stir the unpleasent side of human nature. Stephen Pinker stirred our assesment of human nature in 'The Blank Slate. We are far from blank slates ( hurra say those for original sin) we carry a huge evolutionary baggage that affects what we seek and what we do. We are not led always by our minds other more sinister factors are at work hence the state of the world.
' Human evil is a natural phenomenon, and some level of predatory violence is innate in us'
I quote Sam Harris speaking as a neuro scientist. There are those neuroscientists who think we are ckmplex computers. At the moment the news is full of Professor Steven Hawkins and Bill Gates who are concerned about artificial intelligence.
magnocrat

Postby Brian Jordan » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:39 am

I suppose the press can be interesting in itself, for anyone who can be bothered. Consider the Wail, which seems to miss no opportunity to diss UKIP when I would have thought it would be its natural constituency. Clue: the Distress loves UKIP and the Wail hates the Distress.
OTOH, appearances can be deceptive. Follow any topic of interest to this forum on the Wail website and in many cases the majority of posters seem to oppose the typical Wail line. Maybe they are not readers and just turn up for the event?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:35 pm

The same is true of the Guardian. Depressing home for right wing sexists disagreeing with every article.
cathy

Postby jon_12091 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:10 pm

From todays Guardian, apparently UKIP have a loosely-formed Christian-supporters group called Christian Soldiers, whose main contribution appears to have been making a pest of themselves at a Manchester Gay Pride event.
'If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists'
Miners against fascism.
Hywel Francis
jon_12091

Postby magnocrat » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:00 pm

The purpose of the press is to entertain not inform. Entertainment sells information bores. Education is something many were glad to leave behind at school , except these days many are unwillingly forced to stay on. Educationalists need to come to terms with the fact that a solid majority are not interested in mind expansion. Do you remember Mr Blair 'education education education. Adults who themselves hated education sort to force it on their children not for the sake of education but with their eyes on finacial gain. Johnny is upstairs doing his homework while Mum and Dad watch the soaps eating crisps. They have his future at heart as they munch away little knowing he is playing on his computer.
magnocrat

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All