How it all fits together

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

How it all fits together

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:22 am

I've just found out about Iain Buchanan, a former acdemic who has written a book on how the US evangelical movement operates in the international arena. Buchanan's research is probably flawed - it's not entirely his area of expertise and he has probably been over-reliant on Internet sources. However, he appears to have tried to pull together a picture of the inter-relationships between the various hard line US evangelical organisations. In particular he covers what ties the movement togther and makes it effective, power and money. Amongst the organisations that he identifies as powerful and malign are World Vision, Campus Crusade for Christ, The Family and C Peter Wagner's penetcostal movement. He shows how US fundamentalist organisations work with and on behalf of the US State Department.

Buchanan needs to be treated with some caution but here's an hour or so long presentation by him which makes for disturbing viewing - http://vimeo.com/14966663
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Re: How it all fits together

Postby a_haworthroberts » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:39 pm

I notice that Ken Ham has been criticising World Vision this week. Not sufficiently biblical in having zero tolerance for sin.

That recent Channel 4 'Cure Me I'm Gay' documentary showed how completely unscientific some evangelicals are when approaching this particular topic. And on last night's news they 'confronted' US pastor Scott Lively - who appears to have partly triggered recent legislation in Uganda.

I suppose fundamentalists are Christians who don't start by searching for truth and consider the Biblical gospel the most important truth. Rather they have decided beforehand that the Bible defines and embodies what IS and IS NOT true ie six day creation is true so evolution and millions of years must be 'lies', any sex outside Biblical male-female marriage is sin even if it hurts nobody, being gay is a 'choice' not a condition that some at least are born into, the universe will not end with an expanding cold whimper because Jesus is 'coming back' and Earth will be burnt up ... and so forth.
a_haworthroberts

Postby Roger Stanyard » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:48 am

a_haworthroberts wrote:I notice that Ken Ham has been criticising World Vision this week. Not sufficiently biblical in having zero tolerance for sin.

That recent Channel 4 'Cure Me I'm Gay' documentary showed how completely unscientific some evangelicals are when approaching this particular topic. And on last night's news they 'confronted' US pastor Scott Lively - who appears to have partly triggered recent legislation in Uganda.

Our charming pal Pastor David Anderson has it in for World Vision because it planned to open its recruitment to same sex couples. It's since dropped the plan because the hard-line Evangelicals went balistic. However the reversal of policy seriously questions just who is pulling the strings at World Vision. Buchanan's view is that World Vision is a major agent of US government foreign policy.

Scott Lively is not that bright and is a very nasty piece of work. He's seen in the USA as about extreme as they get. A first class hate machine.
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:28 pm

Has anyone heard of this lot and are they any good.
http://accordcoalition.org.uk/
cathy

Postby a_haworthroberts » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

Their existence has passed me by until just now! But I've found this: http://accordcoalition.org.uk/2014/03/3 ... ghlighted/
a_haworthroberts

Postby cathy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Ah well. The sun was shining today so fed up with painting my abode and planting things to die in the garden I decided to take myself of to Oxford for the day whence I came across yet another creationists. Huddled alongside the Alice in Wonderland themed street artistes and big issue sellers was someone giving out leaflets on The Book of Books which it claims had no sell by date. True of most books I find. Not something that often requires refrigeration thought I.

Anyway, as always I took the kind mans leaflet and checked for creationism. First clue - from NI. A&M McBride of Newtownabbey seemed to be the purveyors. And should you wish you can obtain a free bible, a helpful Christian book, assorted Christian literature or spiritual help from A&M

However what really made me chuckle and what I really must share was the fact that they have chosen to transmit the message of creationism via the medium of verse. And I really couldn't keep this gem of literature from you all (though I'm sure you're screaming for me to do just that) not on Shakespeare's birthday and all that.

So here from the leaflet of A&M the first two verses of their poem. I've annotated in brackets like any good scholar should

The old Holy Bible - what a wonderful book!
Let's open it up and take a good look:
We'll start at the very first chapter and verse,
Though many have sent it away in a hearse. (aah, struggling to find words to scan perhaps)

God created us all, yes that's very clear,
We didn't evolve - do I hear someone sneer? (yes you did, me, very annoyed)
No man came from monkey, 'tis plain as we read (not read those particular lines in the Bible)
So we'd need to reject this, it's just man's creed, (no it's the evidence matey)

Keep reading the Bible, theres more we can learn
For it teaches us sin from the aged to the bairn; (aah sin, not love, compassion, mercy, forgiveness, charity?)
Now how did this happen? I hear someone say, (nope you didn't)
Well, our first parents sinned in the garden one day.

Yes Adam and Eve, for those were there names,
They disobeyed God and brought in sins stains,
For the God whom we read about in this Book,
Is a God of love, mercy, but judgement - just look!

There are of course another four verses to cover the rest of the bible. Well, the next two are about Jesus and the last two about sin again. Which just about sums up your average creationist. Obsessed with the book of Genesis to the almost exclusion of all else.

Any way just couldn't resist treating you to the little creative creationist ditty.
cathy

Return to Free For All