Early European Hunter Gatherer DNA found

All are welcome to this forum, which is for debating the teaching of creationism or intelligent design in schools. This forum can be boisterous, and you should not participate if easily offended.

Moderator: Moderators

Early European Hunter Gatherer DNA found

Postby cathy » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:16 pm

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885519

DNA sequenced from 7000 year old early Europeans. Found to be most closely related to Northern Europeans. Blue eyes, black hair and dark skin. Lactose intolerant and probably unable to digest starch - therefore pre agricultural Europe.
cathy

Re: Early European Hunter Gatherer DNA found

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:50 pm

cathy wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885519

DNA sequenced from 7000 year old early Europeans. Found to be most closely related to Northern Europeans. Blue eyes, black hair and dark skin. Lactose intolerant and probably unable to digest starch - therefore pre agricultural Europe.
Hmm, 7000 years ago and their genome had already lost the information for digesting lactose and starch, eh? Was the information washed back in again by the fludd?
"PPSIMMONS is an amorphous mass of stupid" - Rationalwiki
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby Roger Stanyard » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:30 pm

Brian Jordan wrote:
cathy wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885519

Hmm, 7000 years ago and their genome had already lost the information for digesting lactose and starch, eh? Was the information washed back in again by the fludd?

It doesn't quite seem right to me. That early Europeans were as recently as 7,000 years ago unable to digest starch seems to be in contradiction to evidence. Hunter-gatherers presumably collected grain as a food source and, presumablly had been doing it for a long time - Wikipedia claims that "starch grains from sorghum were found on grind stones in caves in Ngalue, Mozambique dating up to 100,000 years ago."
Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities - Voltaire
Roger Stanyard
Forum Admin

Postby Brian Jordan » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Roger Stanyard wrote:It doesn't quite seem right to me. That early Europeans were as recently as 7,000 years ago unable to digest starch seems to be in contradiction to evidence. Hunter-gatherers presumably collected grain as a food source and, presumablly had been doing it for a long time - Wikipedia claims that "starch grains from sorghum were found on grind stones in caves in Ngalue, Mozambique dating up to 100,000 years ago."
Didn't sound right to me, either, but not nearly so wrong as the creationists! Hunter-gatherers wouldn't have much to gather, after all, without starch but as so often a simple sentence can take hours to unravel.
However, anyone caring to Google on amylase monkeys might well wonder about the starch bit. Lactose is always a problem since it's rare for a distinction to be made between genetic lactose intolerance occasionally found in neonates and the loss of lactase found in cultures where adults do not use unfermented milk products. All very difficult without access to the original paper - which would probably make all the difference and provide the satisfactory explanations the creationist never do.
But I must finish - I feel myself secreting both amylase and lactase in anticipation of quiche Lorraine! Not to mention baconase. :twisted: Maybe I'll look further tomorrow - it's quite interesting.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Postby cathy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm

I've just come in from someone's birthday do and realisesed am merlot intolerant but will still have to go to work tomorrow despite it. :( :( :(

Oops. three sad faces and can't find delete.
cathy

Postby Brian Jordan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 am

I hope the alcohol dehydrogenase had done the trick by morning! An evolutionary development to cope with the effects of eating lots of fermenting fruit, I've read, although I'm not entirely convinced about that, either.
Brian Jordan
Forum Admin

Return to Free For All